racing the town house.

Dan957

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Town Car and i want to turn it into a performance street legal car. what are they best ways to get the most hp and keep it a comfortable and quiet ride. im already putting dual exhaust in.

hot rod lincoln town car way cool. hope one day to see you at the track ripping some tens in the quarter.try true dual exhaust ,nitrous,some rear gears,pick a little weight out of the car ,cam,headers,for free power right now you can bump the timing... good luck

100_1775.JPG

100_1770.JPG

An HO conversion for starters. If you have high mileage you may want to consider dropping in a low mileage late model Explorer 5.0 HO - which has GT40P heads from the factory.

Keep in mind you have an AOD transmission. If you want to keep your stock transmission, you need to use a block with this bell housing. (92.5+ modulars use the modular/aode bellhousing pattern)

thanks for the advice. Another little problem (or at least i think its a problem) i drove down a deserted road a few days ago and wanted to see the beast in action. but when i put the car at top speed i was shocked to see it only go to 85! i hear the car shift into 4th gear, but even going downhill it stops at 85! is there a speed limiter in the 90 tc that i can remove somehow, because 85 is nothing.

Are you sure it wasn't traveling faster than 85, just the speedo was not reading above that?

Most civilian panther platform cars have a speed limiter in the 106-110mph range.

should be a aod unless you blew out forth if i remember correct you stay in first and when you hit second you shift it back to pull second to 5500 rpm or higher so you dont go into third to soon hopefully some body knows what i am talking about i don't want to look like a donkey

Well i got the true dual exhaust for 500. better acceleration and mpg, plus a little horse power. still cant get over 85 though i hear that the jets performance chip is a good buy and can eliminate the whole problem. Has anyone ever heard of it and is it easy to install? thanks.

Again, are you certain the vehicle is NOT traveling faster than 85 - or are you only going by the speedometer?

If you have a base '90 with analog speedo, it will only read to 85. I want to say the optional digi dash on the 90-94s also only read to 85mph, but I can't remember for sure.

yeah it is a stock 90 besides a few things but as soon as it hits 85 i hear it drop into 4th gear and the engine doesn't rev louder than when it first went into 4th. it keeps a steady low tone. when going downhill its like the cruise control is on the engine slows itself so i cant go over 85. makes no sense to me but the on it computer is a little wacky. it doesnt tell me im ow on something till im out. should i get a 90 mustang computer or get a performance chip. Thanks

I have a 1990 Town Car and i want to turn it into a performance street legal car. what are they best ways to get the most hp and keep it a comfortable and quiet ride. im already putting dual exhaust in.

I dont know much about lincolns but its a 302 right? And ford makes lincoln right? So throw one of these in it!!!! http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=302+engine&category0=

If they go right in then that would be the best thing to do. U are lucky my friend my performance upgrading is very limited I have a deville :(

I owned a 1990 town car , I don't recall it topping out at 85 mph (but I don't recall many things now a days) I would have that checked out first.

I would pull the silencer off the air box also

85mph

I have a 90 Catier and it has the digital speedo, but even though it only shows 85, you probably are going faster. Duals are ok, but you reallly need to get the HO upper and Trottle body. Those made a big difference untill you can do the total HO conversion. I rebuilt it to HO spec and am running the MK8 pcm, but had to rewire 8 wires to get the cruise to work. Does yours have the factory headers? Mine does and I heard that 90 was the only year.

Good luk
Rob
Atascocita, TX

Not that it makes any difference, but I don't remember ever seeing a 90-94 with an analog dash. Otherwise, I'd have bought it.

Your TV bushing isn't bad, otherwise you'd have spit that tranny out a long time ago. It would also be shifting into each gear at the earliest possible time (like 9mph, 18mph, etc) and it would slip like a mofo in OD.

As far as top speed, that '90 should go all the way to 140 unless there is some strange limiter in there. I knew a couple guys who did that in their 80's cars. Never tried it in my old '89, it just was too dangerous for me.

Here's how you'll get a ton of power out of that '90. . .

Make the HO conversion from an 89-93 mustang or Mark VII, but instead of rewiring the injector harness to make the injection order correct (which is essential if you keep the stock computer, but doesn't work well because the computer is confused about which cylinders are putting out what O2 levels) install the 89-93 mustang computer. That computer will also adapt to any changes you make to the engine later, which is a must.

Next, throw on an aftermarket intake manifold, heads and headers, and put an X pipe with high flow cats on your exhaust. if you choose the right parts you will be comfortably above 300 horsepower. Leave the stock cam so the engine still has good manners at idle and still has that oh-so-sweet 5.OH sound! I love that sound so much. . . . .

Anyway. . . thats what I'd do. You won't be ripping that quarter mile to shreds, but you will be cruising around town in a TC that runs WAY faster than it was designed to and will turn a lot of heads.

Heck, an HO swap alone will have people asking you "hey, is that a 'hot rod' Lincoln?" I know mine did!

Happy Cruising!

Oh, and don't just switch the intake and TB. . . the real magic of the HO is in the heads and cam.

And, there's no way a Mark VIII computer worked on a 5.0 TC considering the VIII had an AODE or 4R70W tranny and a 4.6 with fully electronic ignition. You must mean a Mark VII computer, which easily makes the transition.

I have a 90' as well

Mine easily rolls over 100 mph and effortlessly too. Before you shell out for a new engine try this;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592&highlight=sewiv+ignition+sixlitre

It costs all of $140.00 in parts and an afternoon to install em' and adjust the base timing and plug gap.

Major throttle response increase and mileage too.

Check a few of the mods out here;

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/9371

Sixlitre

Members online

Back