Raced an '04 LSE

Beamer

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well today was the first day I let the Cobalt SS/SC go. Owning an '02 LS v8 I knew even w/ the '03+ having 30 or so more HP that an LS was pretty much a decent match-up for the 'Balt.

So I am driving along when this Black LSE comes up behind me on my ass, I knew the person. They had tailgated me before when I had my LS and are always getting on it so I knew I could possibly get a chance at them.

So he actually follows me and gets in the same turning lane. I am sitting there and I hear a rumble, it was the LS(sound like flows). I looked in the mirror and they were checking out my car so I just nudged the throttle giving a slit rev back and he did it again.

So light goes green and I take off, make the turn and let them get beside which he does, I nod and he does and boom! We both hit it, I am in mid 2nd so I had shift almost right off but we were almost dead even and I than started to pull and we had to shut down for a light resulting in a pretty even race, I was slightly ahead. We both knew we were going again so I hoped I got the take off almost perfect(kind of tricking to launch w/ the SS).

Light goes green I get on it w/ just a little tire chirping, they squeel aswell and once I shift to second I look over quick and he is at my rear fender and I continue to pull until they are about a couple doors(Cobalt doors) back and when continued and I continued to pull than they flashed and I let off.

Talked to the guy afterwards and he had intake and exhaust. He liked my car which was nice to hear, not many seem too that run around in $40K new vehicles. He asked if it was stock and I said not really, told 'em and than showed him the stage 2 upgrades. I told him I had an '02 LS and he said he remembered it and I joked about him ridding my ass all the time when I had it.

Pretty cool dude, mid-40's. He said he thinking of getting rid of the LS too for something w/ potential that doesn't require tons of cash such as SCing an LS or other really complicated things. I said it would be rewarding to have a SC LS but it is nice to find something and be able to have it on after alittle sweat and working right.

that sounds good man. i have a friend at work that has a red ss supercharged. he is still stage 1 though and i would like to run him to see what would happen. i woul djust hope he shifts too early or something so i can take him.. :-D sounded like a lil fun drive.

How fast were you going? Most of the time, the 4 bangers will lose their bite after about 90 or so. V8's just seem to kinda...keep going LOL. I like the Cobalt's and all, but...I was just staring down my LS today and I just knew there wasn't another car out there I'd want. I love all angles of this car, I've tried looking at other cars, but when I do, I just cant see myself giving this one up. It's styling will never get old, and this car makes EVERYONE look at it. I never pull beside someone and them not check out something on the car. Not dogging Chevy, but I've noticed all their cars...just lose their class rather quickly. You just don't see that with the Lincoln LS.

That's good Beamer, those little SSs are pretty fast especially for their price.

I love my LS, but not enough to marry it, I ain't gonna keep it forever. I hope I'll be moving into one of these (S55/S600 or a 750LI/760LI) in a year.

760i.jpg

s55 1.jpg

s55.jpg

We raced to around 110, this car did not lose a step, pulled hard until that point of me letting off, I know a couple of other guys w/ them that said they pull till cut-off(over 130, think 150) nicely, I for one probably won't try that unless its perfect for it. I am on the .net, but the site does not let me post or anything, getting a southeast club going anyway.

i agree with hyelife im tryn to step it up to a s500/s600 even nicer would be the new cls 500

Any turbo or supercharged 4 cyl will give the LS8 a run for its money. I had a turbo Nissan 240 and didnt even realize I was going 165mph until I hit the 7400 RPM limiter in 5th gear. Turbos keep going and going. same with Superchargers.

The LS was never meant to be a race car. It is however a good compromise of luxury and performance. It is fun to drive and peppy enough to not be an embarrassment when you put your foot in it.

HyeLifeLS said:
That's good Beamer, those little SSs are pretty fast especially for their price.

I love my LS, but not enough to marry it, I ain't gonna keep it forever. I hope I'll be moving into one of these (S55/S600 or a 750LI/760LI) in a year.

i agree man. i wouldn`t mind gettin a 545, 745 or an audi a8. but around the 20-25 gran price range i really couldn`t get rid of my ls for anything else. although i almost got an 01 330ci sport coupe, but because it was an 01 i couldn`t get a decent interest rate. was a beautiful car though already had 19`s on it and wasn`t a daily driver. i am goin to try to keep my ls till i pay it off though.

J3FF said:
How fast were you going? Most of the time, the 4 bangers will lose their bite after about 90 or so. V8's just seem to kinda...keep going LOL.

My buddy has a cobalt SS with a smaller pulley and some intake mods. He was racing my buddies 5.0 'stang and got clocked by a trooper at 131 in a 65 and he was still climbing. You'd like to think the 4-bangers lose acceleration after 90mph but not a lot of the one's i've seen. I've been traveling at 125+ and had little 4 bangers come BLOWING by me... i.e. SRT4, Cobalt, Civics, etc...

It all depends on two things when it comes to top end acceleration - fuel and air with a side of "aerodynamics".

^ yup. 0y rich friend has a turbo'd '02 cavalier that goes like hell, a nissan sentra that does the same and an '02 wrx that would eat and spit out STi's and even bigger racers all day w/out a bit of sweat(I.E Corvette's and alike cars). He has like 50K+ in that Subaru.

He is wanting to get a Ferrari sometime but is deciding to wait till he moves over to Germany.

Members online

Back