Quirks ..

sacsfin3st

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Now I accept the fact that when you buy a used car, there will almost always be some weird quirk the previous owner 'put up with' or simply 'couldn't afford to fix and didn't have the know how'

I think I have found this quirky feature in my LS. So a month or so ago the LS told me to check my right brake lamp. I did, it was out. Such a smart car! I get paid 3-5 days later ill fix then. I notice the warning stops coming up and find my brake lamp is working again. Get paid, buy replacement bulbs but At this point the brake lamp is functioning properly still.
I take the bulb out and don't see anything wrong with it. Guess this is why it was working. Put new bulb in and everything is good .... Until this past week. Check right brake lamp comes on. Mind you it has not been raining at all In some time. Nice an hot days. Taking a look I find the bulb again is fine. This leads me to believe there is a short somewhere. Any other things I could/should check?

What would be the easiest way to find and fix this problem? Surely there has got to be some sort of tool that I can use?

Thank you,
Nate

Also. I've been working damn near everyday since July 8th so I haven't had time to wash it.
Just trying to rule out water for everyone. :)

Ty for assisting.

It's not a short, it's an open.
It is most probably a problem with one of the contacts in the bulb holder.

Doesn't sound like autozone or any place of the like would have such part. Sounds like a pick n pull or dealer part.

Ty joegr

Go to the junk yard and pull the entire harness, it takes about 2 minutes, I had to do it for mine a few months back.

Don't cut anything, it is just 1 connector to unhook.

Go to the junk yard and pull the entire harness, it takes about 2 minutes, I had to do it for mine a few months back.

Don't cut anything, it is just 1 connector to unhook.

Last time I went to the junkyard (pickNpull) they only one if these cars locally and it had been ran thru. Ill have to call again see what there inventory is looking like. Any compatible harness's from another model vehicle?

My '03 LS also eats tail lamp bulbs. I've probably changed 6-10 of them in the 6 years I've owned the LS. It's bad enough (and it's a common 3157 bulb) that I bought 20 wagner bulbs online paying $5 for 10 rather than $5 for 2 at the parts store.

try not having the brakes on when nailing railroad crossings or other severe bumps and thumbs in the roadways.

My '03 LS also eats tail lamp bulbs. I've probably changed 6-10 of them in the 6 years I've owned the LS. It's bad enough (and it's a common 3157 bulb) that I bought 20 wagner bulbs online paying $5 for 10 rather than $5 for 2 at the parts store.

Are your bulbs actually burned out when you change them out? Mine weren't. Visually fine looking tested on other brake lamp still working.

Really???????????????? I've replaced maybe 4 bulbs in 13 years. I did replace the factory bulbs with the chrome bulbs off of eBay.

Really???????????????? I've replaced maybe 4 bulbs in 13 years. I did replace the factory bulbs with the chrome bulbs off of eBay.

I have about the same experience, except for one bulb socket with a bad contact. It melted the plastic base of the replacement bulb after several months. I cleaned/sanded the contact and bent it cause more contact pressure. So far, so good.

I have about the same experience, except for one bulb socket with a bad contact. It melted the plastic base of the replacement bulb after several months. I cleaned/sanded the contact and bent it cause more contact pressure. So far, so good.

My pass side socket was brittle and broken as well as my housing was completely melted....happened before me...I left it alone until the bulb went out...was lucky to find a good housing and harness to swap for aboutt 20 bucks and so far all is right with that.

Members online

No members online now.
Back