quickie question regarding alternator

Alternator is only engine and generation specific. V8 and V6 are different.
Your parts shop should be able to cross reference.

The automatic and Manual Alternators are different.

The only difference is the pulley. The manual uses a clutched (or over run) type pulley. This helps lessen vibration and belt wear when large drops in RPM occur (as during shifts).

I will be changing mine tomorrow morning. I had to wait 2 days for my electrical shop to get the right one. You could likely use the automatic alternator (it will fit and work) but from Lincoln they are different.

Couldn't you just rip the old pulley off?

My plan was to remove alternator, take to shop and get it rebuilt same day (since no one had it in stock). Placed on the bench and tech spun it by hand and said pulley had also failed and since he did not have one I'd have to buy new pulley. At this point I told him order the whole alternator. Two days later when I went to pick up the alternator he asked if it was mounted under the car. I told him yes and asked why. He said he had disassembled the alternator and everything was too corroded to use.

I drive the LS to go skiing every other week on salt covered roads from December thru April. The underside is starting to dissolve and I guess I should not have been surprised to find that the alternator had done likewise.

Members online

Back