Quick radio question

der3wuste3fuchs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
First off,

love you guys. kisses.

second off,

I ordered a new double-din head unit for the baby on crutchfield. Really blown away by their service and support. Anyway, when I ordered it I got this message:

i7i.jpg

It's a pretty sweet deal If I can use these items for my install, as it will save me the money I was going to spend on buying the FWH-600 harness and the Double-din kit and Metra Axxess.

Do you guys know if the free stuff will work for me?

Also, anyone care to tell my stupid self about this?
iygiu.jpg

Mahalo,

Ian

First off, saying "kisses" is more for a Justin Beiber forum, not a Thievery fan who visits knuckle-dragging car forums. ;)

I've used Crutchfield's call-in tech line before, they're pretty helpful. If you don't get good answers here they'd prob. have answers to your questions.

those parts should work fine (the 5v regulator is a real nice addition if you have the OEM subs)

you will still need an ASWC-1 for your steering wheel controls

and the first part of that note is telling you that need need that voltage reducer to keep the system from popping every time you turn the key on and off, the second part is telling you that for your subs to work right (sound good), you need to plug them into a SUB output on the radio, not front or rear as there is no crossover in the amp itself.

image.jpg

Bringin' back an oldie but..

Here is a pic of the setup. Great support from crutchfield on all my questions, they really know their stuff. The free included harness and 5v/12v adapter with the aftermarket kit is quite nice. Also cheaper than amazon with free shipping. Overall very happy with this unit; it's a little long so you have to mangle it in there but feature and system wise let me tell you how nice it is to have a bluetooth unit. And this never loses any signal, if you guys are fumbling with that FM tuner junk like I was, get this unit or a similar BT and burn that cable. The unit really gets along with the ipod and is easy to control. Also, the USB/Line-in connection is at the front. I personally like the back USB so I can hide some cord but it is all good. Kenwood DPX5T if you're interested.

There is a little gap between the ACC and the ashtray, but that is because I had to re-use the single-din kit which was made to mare with the ACC, thus I had to cut the bracket off of the single din to make it flush with the unit and use on the ACC to hold in place.

Not trying to sell this item, I just know personally it's nice to hear when people are successful with certain aftermarket things in this car.

IMG_20120525_155655.jpg

I did a double din pioneer radio for mine. It'll look sweet once you get it installed.....Good luck!!!!

IMG_20120525_155655.jpg

So after the conversion do the steering wheel controls still work? Is this a one day job or an all weekend thing?
Both of those look sweet. I'd love to be able to play MP3s.

So after the conversion do the steering wheel controls still work?
as long as you pick a radio that has the ability to work with OEM wheel controls (wired remote input) AND you buy, install and program an adapter they will (metra ASWC)

Is this a one day job or an all weekend thing?
someone that knows what they are doing should be able to replace a radio and do the steering wheel controls in an hour or two. a rookie shouldnt take more than a few...

someone that knows what they are doing should be able to replace a radio and do the steering wheel controls in an hour or two..

I should be able to muddle through it in a day or three then. :) Thanks for the info.
My Gen 2 has the 6 cd changer. Looking at the faceplate, it does not appear to have the cut-out/recess shown in the pics above, is that an aftermarket faceplate or the original for the non changer head unit? Off to Crutchfield to see if I can find a unit with integrated GPS.

At one time, you had to order the replacement faceplate for the THX navigation headunit. Fortunately, now there is an aftermarket double din faceplate for both generations (gen I is black instead of silver).

Off to Crutchfield to see if I can find a unit with integrated GPS.

while not as cheap as places like sonicelecrtonics, crutchfield is a good place for beginners to go to because they will include all of the parts that you will need for the install, and usually give you printed instructions that are pretty easy to follow.

while not as cheap as places like sonicelecrtonics, crutchfield is a good place for beginners to go to because they will include all of the parts that you will need for the install, and usually give you printed instructions that are pretty easy to follow.

Yes, absolutely. I have purchased from Crutchfield on several occasions and even if they are a bit more expensive, it is worth it to me for those very reasons.

At one time, you had to order the replacement faceplate for the THX navigation headunit. Fortunately, now there is an aftermarket double din faceplate for both generations (gen I is black instead of silver).

Cruthfield shows the black plate. I think I will call/order and see if I can get the silver one that I need. If not hopefully there is another source.

Just like to chime in and say I had no idea I had a factory sub. I was included the harness for the hook ups even though when I removed the old aftermarket stereo I did not see the vehicle's harness for it. Apparently, it was hidden. Luckily, I put the (what I thought) was wrong information on crutchfield and got the hook up. Initially, when I hooked up the system I did not hear any sub and thought I might have screwed up. However, I didn't think the car's connectors would just be sitting there open to air for no reason, so when I reset the battery, I noticed a nice difference when playing a bass-heavy song. It's not enough to be perfectly happy with, however it will make sticking with my current setup much more enjoyable. pretty impressed for a 12-year old factory sub.

Members online

No members online now.
Back