Quick Question: Oil Tube

marcredd

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just did my 500 mile oil change and noticed that the oil fill tube that the oil cap threads into "turned" with the cap to a certain point before the cap began to normally turn to come off. I filled the engine with oil and fired the car and do not see any oil leaking or blowing from the immediate area but it did catch my attention immediately.

I cannot remember it having some play before. Am I imagining things or is this normal? 2000 v8 .

Thx...

A little looseness is okay. I wouldn't worry about it.

K....Thx. Cannot afford to take any chances with it. LOL.

The locking tabs on the bottom of the tube that lock onto the valve cover are commonly broken.
The important thing is to ensure the tube is still tight to the valve cover. Otherwise, the crankcase ventilation will pull air in from there instead of from the filtered air source. Or you may get oil seepage from there.
As Joe said, usually not a problem. Just hold onto the tube with one hand while unscrewing the cap with the other.

Cool...

I did do exactly what u said when I put the cap back on. I also checked it again this morning and will do so weekly to ensure it is tight.

Okay I searched the forum to find the name of that part and i'm having no luck. Recently my "oil tube" or what ever its called snapped off the motor and is basically dancing in the wind now. Can any one help me out and tell me what the name of the part is and if possible where to buy it? Or is it a dealer only part?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

might require the entire VC. Salvage yard will prob be the best option

If you're talking about the part where you pour the oil in, it's called the "oil fill tube" or the "oil filler tube", AFAIK.

If you're talking about the dipstick tube, then that's different.

Recently my "oil tube" or what ever its called snapped off the motor and is basically dancing in the wind now.
So are you telling me that you oil fill tube couldn't take any backtalk and attitude from the punk coils any longer so he packed his sh!t up and left with out saying anything to anyone?

Did he at least leave his hat behind, or did he take that with him too?

Members online

No members online now.
Back