Quick Part # Question

ACDiecast

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question about part location and number. I recently did a tune-up of all 8 COP's and plugs to Motorcraft. ('03 V8 Sport) my fuel economy improved by nearly 6 MPG, and my idle and acceleration feel much better.

Oddly enough, my CEL came on after about 75 miles of doing the maintenance and brought up a P0153 DTC - one pending and one confirmed - for a Bank 2, Sensor 1 Oxygen Sensor.

That being said, I have noticed that after a couple ignition cycles, the light went out before I was home to clear the code. I also noticed that the CEL was the only light (to my knowledge) that didn't self-test while turning the ignition on and continues to be the case. I'm thinking this code might have set before the job but I didn't know because the CEL didn't illuminate?

Anyway, I have since cleared the code - whose description is "Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 1" - and I want to make sure I'm looking at the right O2 Sensor. Is Bank 2 the driver's side and sensor 1 the upstream, green-wired sensor? I know this has been gone over before but I have gotten mixed answers from other threads I searched.

This might not be a big deal, but I figured I would fix it now since the price doesn't seem too bad. RockAuto has a Motorcraft DY1039 for $35 and the picture lines up with what I'm seeing before the cat converter. Is this the right part number and location? I'll post a pic of the driver's side sensor I believe it to be.

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

image.jpg

Yes, forward most on the driver's side.
Be aware that the O2 sensor itself may not be your problem. Also, it sounds like the Check-engine light may have burned out. It would have been better to clear the code after changing the sensor, than before changing.

I swear, nothing to see here, clear code, keep driving. It momentarily read a value outside of it's range which got back to normal within a drive cycle or two.

You can start tearing into the whole Fn car if you want or you could simply change out the fuel filter which I read you haven't done just yet in all your upkeep to date, then simply run some STP fuel Injector cleaner through the tank and some fresh Shell hi octane fuel and give it good long hard stomp on the hiway in the hammer lane.

You'd be swapping O2 sensors on it till the cows came home, it just read a value out of it's required range, no biggie!

If the same MIL returns and remains present THEN you'd have something to worry about. At best for now, you could attempt to disconnect and reconnect that Upstream sensor, see if you can spot any contact corrosion inside the connector. Click it back in good.

There are CEL and MIL, two very different things!

If I can read between the lines, I think I'm on the same page as Joe. Last time this scenario happened to me (esp when I had a misfire for a bit) I was looking for new catalytic converters.

Thanks for the advice and info fellas. I think I'll leave it alone until if/when I get the code back. And you're right BigRig, sorry for the mistake, it should be MIL rather than CEL. The more pressing issue here is probably the fact that the MIL may be faulty, I'll do a search to see if this might be an occurring issue.

My downstream on bank 1 would throw a MIL once and a while, thought for sure I had some clogging up of the CAT on that side as within the first few months of ownership I had a marginal coil on same side. I think I've cleared it maybe three times now or so. People always immediately think to replace the sensors themselves, yet they are doing the job of constantly reading the emissions. Sure it can be a sensor IF it's something that constantly stays on or comes back BUT yet the problem can be up top as well. In my books (and they get update with what Joe teaches us often don't get me wrong), if the MIL is able to be cleared and it does not repeatedly return each drive cycle, it's merely a slight reading out of it's required tolerance. I've always simply cleared codes first to see if they want to repeat themselves. If it does only then would I myself concern myself with chasing the problem further upstream. Wishful thinking perhaps but sure beats getting all up in a panic and unnecessarily swapping out perfectly good sensors.

I saw/read in your other post all the items you have replaced as maintenance items, great direction to give it a bit of a refresh, so an emissions sensor burped and farted afterwards, big deal, clear it, keep the clean gas to it and step on it, get that exhaust nice and hot. See what happens, see if it wants to repeat itself weekly or not. You might go without any other issues for the next 3-6 months. I think your CATS are most likely fine, specially with low miles like yours.

Yes there will always be, try this, change that, you need a new this and oh boy hope you have a back up daily driver cuz this is going to get expensive.
That's not to say, there may actually be an issue but if it was me ... clear it and move on, see if it repeats itself.

Up to you as always of course.

Members online

No members online now.
Back