Quick off subject question; Remote start related

ESP J

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok when i first bought the car last january it had an aftermarket remote start, shortly after the car had some problems and i had to get the computer replaced, meaning i had to get new keys made because i never had the original keys just copies

when i got the car back the mechanic told me that the remote start was still active just no key to actually start the car when i pushed the button, it just turns the radio on and lights everything BUT start the car

i took it to a shop and asked if they could install the key ,and they said no , that i would have to get a whole new RemoteStart system installed

a few days back i thought id try something and put the key in turned it (without starting the car) and while the key was in i pushed the remote start button , and voila the car started , just like it should with remotestart

my question is do i have to get a new remote start system or can i do it myself or how would i go about getting my remote start to work , yes i have 2 keys i know one has to go somewhere for the remote start to work, just curious , i can live without it but heck if i have it why not use it

You've been getting bad advise all around. Your existing keys (copies or not) could easily have been reprogramming into the new "computer." (Was it the PCM or the cluster that was replaced? Doesn't really matter. Either way keys have to be reprogrammed.) It's just as easy to program old keys in as new. In fact, if you have two working keys now, you can program in the key or module used by the remote start yourself. No need to buy another one.

You will have to figure out how your existing remote start is set up. Are they using a bypass module? If so, you'll have to get their instructions for programming it in. Are they using a key taped under the dash instead? You'll have to find it.

You've been getting bad advise all around. Your existing keys (copies or not) could easily have been reprogramming into the new "computer." (Was it the PCM or the cluster that was replaced? Doesn't really matter. Either way keys have to be reprogrammed.) It's just as easy to program old keys in as new. In fact, if you have two working keys now, you can program in the key or module used by the remote start yourself. No need to buy another one.

You will have to figure out how your existing remote start is set up. Are they using a bypass module? If so, you'll have to get their instructions for programming it in. Are they using a key taped under the dash instead? You'll have to find it.

When they gave me the car back they said the key was taped under the dash, I have no clue about the bypass module, all I know is the key copy (one without the lincoln emblem) only works to open the car, not to start it

yes some bypass module needs to have an extra key under dash, but you can buy for more $$ a bypass that is key free and you dont need a key under dash.

When they gave me the car back they said the key was taped under the dash, I have no clue about the bypass module, all I know is the key copy (one without the lincoln emblem) only works to open the car, not to start it

So, put one of your two working keys in and turn the key on of a couple of seconds and back off. Quickly repeat with the second working key. Right after that, put the non working key in and turn it to run. You should now be able to start the car with that key.

the key they gave me was a copy, it didnt have the chip,

also was wondering if i find where they had taken the copy out and add myother extra with the chip in it will it in theory work?

i was gonna take the cover off and see if i could find it today but weather been a little wet lately , and as soon as i started the black clouds started rolling in,

another off note i didnt know their were small light bulbs under the sterring to light the floor , looks like something else to get replaced while im down there lol, thats cool

The reason your remote start works when you have the key in the ignition is because that is how it works when using a bypass.. It fools the computer into thinking there is a key already there by A( copying the signal from a key or B(using a key in a box) and sending that keys "signal" to the pats sensor by the lock cylinder.

You DO NOT need an entire new remote start system...

What brand are the remote start keyfobs? I suggest finding a dealer that sells what you have.. We can be very brand loyal and specific, and no one likes working on a different brand than what they sell and install, because they can be quite different from each other.

The reason your remote start works when you have the key in the ignition is because that is how it works when using a bypass.. It fools the computer into thinking there is a key already there by A( copying the signal from a key or B(using a key in a box) and sending that keys "signal" to the pats sensor by the lock cylinder.

You DO NOT need an entire new remote start system...

What brand are the remote start keyfobs? I suggest finding a dealer that sells what you have.. We can be very brand loyal and specific, and no one likes working on a different brand than what they sell and install, because they can be quite different from each other.

its an autopage XT-33, another reason i dislike living on an island not many choices, ill have to call around to the nearby cities thanks :D

yeah the guy here was trying to sell me a $400 Viper remote start ,

the key they gave me was a copy, it didnt have the chip,

if that key was tapped under the dash for the remote start that at one point did work, then again they dont know what they are talking about, that key would have to have a chip in it AND be programmed to the car for it to work.

the key is part of the bypass, there is usually also a box that the key goes into, and an antenna that sends the signal from the chip up to the factory transponder ring.

you should just have to follow joe's directions to reporgram that key, then put it back in the bypass for it to work.

if i find where they had taken the copy out and add myother extra with the chip in it will it in theory work?
that is exactly how the system works, the remote start system simulates the key being turned in the ignition cylinder, and then the bypass system make the Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) think that there is a programmed key in the ignition cylinder and allows the car to start with out a key actually being in the ignition cylinder.

as mentioned, your best bet is to re-program the key they gave you. this is very simple takes less than 30 seconds. To do this you will need three keys, keys one and two are the two new programmed key that you just got, key three is the old key from under the dash.

all this is timed so you need to do this right and quickly

insert key 1 in to the ignition cylinder and turn it to the run position without starting the car

as soon as the PATS light (red light in the center of the dash next to the windshield) shuts off, remove key 1 from the ignition cylinder

insert key 2 in to the ignition cylinder and turn it to the run position with out starting the car (exactly the same as step one)

as soon as the PATS light shuts off, remove key 2 from the ignition cylinder

insert key 3 in to the ignition cylinder and start the car

after the key has been programmed, re-insert it in to the bypass and enjoy a working remote start system.

Members online

No members online now.
Back