Quick CAI question

2004LincolnLSV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just put in the KKM intake...is it necessary to reset my computer (unplug battery) or will the computer adapt to the new intake eventually after driving a while?
Thanks

I just put in the KKM intake...is it necessary to reset my computer (unplug battery) or will the computer adapt to the new intake eventually after driving a while?
Thanks

Disconnecting the battery is quicker, but the PCM will adjust.

do you need to completly disconnect the battery or will taking off the red cable be enough? I put my KKM on over the weekend and since then I've gone into Failsafe twice. Both times I've been able to get to a safe spot, turn it off and restart. But I left the red lead off of the battery for nearly 24 hours.

do you need to completly disconnect the battery or will taking off the red cable be enough? I put my KKM on over the weekend and since then I've gone into Failsafe twice. Both times I've been able to get to a safe spot, turn it off and restart. But I left the red lead off of the battery for nearly 24 hours.
As long as you disconnected the red Battery cable, that should be enough. Make sure and check all the connections you made when you installed the MAF sensor in the KKM. It is hard but not impossible to get the sensor in wrong. Also make sure there are no (after the MAF) air leaks as this will cause a lean condition and trigger Failsafe.

My failsafe went off a few times when unmetered air was getting in past the MAF. Check for holes somewhere in your tubing too.

well, I just re-checked everything starting with the MAF bolts. I was able to snug them up a bit. then I hit the hose clamp that the KKM plugs into and lastly I hit the hose clamp that holds the filter on. The filter fell right off into my hand! "There's your problem!"

I think I actually had the hose clamp torqued down too much and that forced it off the aluminum housing. so this time I didn't put it on as tightly as last time. maybe I'll have better results.

well, I just re-checked everything starting with the MAF bolts. I was able to snug them up a bit. then I hit the hose clamp that the KKM plugs into and lastly I hit the hose clamp that holds the filter on. The filter fell right off into my hand! "There's your problem!"

I think I actually had the hose clamp torqued down too much and that forced it off the aluminum housing. so this time I didn't put it on as tightly as last time. maybe I'll have better results.
Hopefully your rechecking the connections will help. But I do not think the filter clamp would allow unmetered air to affect the mixture. Your rechecks may have plugged a small leak though.:)

yeah, that's true. since the filter is before the MAF sensor that might not make a difference. but I did tighten up the other stuff, too, so like you said, maybe that'll do it.

One other thing is that 3 weeks ago I had to replace my throttle body. so maybe that's not quite right yet and that's what is throwing the codes. I'll have to stop in the week and get the codes read.

yeah, that's true. since the filter is before the MAF sensor that might not make a difference. but I did tighten up the other stuff, too, so like you said, maybe that'll do it.

One other thing is that 3 weeks ago I had to replace my throttle body. so maybe that's not quite right yet and that's what is throwing the codes. I'll have to stop in the week and get the codes read.
I had a throttle body go bad and it threw all kinds of codes, and caused the Failsafe to engage. Worse yet, it killed the engine within seconds of the Failsafe mode warning. BTW, For over 3 years this was an intermittent problem with no codes. Finally, recently some codes were reported and while none of the codes were very helpful in indicating a throttle body problem , they all related to memory failure. Fortunately for me the Lincoln mechanic had seen it once before and replaced the throttle body. No problems since.

You should be able to torque the clamp down without any problem if the aluminum flange piece is made correctly. There should be a little lip on the part the filter attaches to that will keep it from falling off. I assume the KKM has this so you should be able to tighten it down all the way. Another trick is if for some reason it is falling off even with the clamp tight is to hit the area where the filter will attach to with a little hairspray. Then clamp it down like normal. This is an old turbo boost pipe trick. Make sure that you do not get any hairspray onto the MAFS electronics itself.

there is no lip. at least not that I noticed...do other KKM owners have a lip where the filter attaches to the KKM intake?

thanks for the hairspray trick! I suppose it makes it tacky enough to hold but not soild enough that you'll never get it off. good call!

Members online

No members online now.
Back