Quick A/C Q:?

lunchmeat

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My A/C only works on max a/c with the fan turned all the way on. What do I need to fix this? And how hard?

I would first make sure the system is charged fully with R-134a. You may be getting some cold air but not enough unless you really blast the fans.

I would first make sure the system is charged fully with R-134a. You may be getting some cold air but not enough unless you really blast the fans.

That defies login. If the coils can only get sol cold then moving MORE air would mean the increased air flow spends less time at the cool and is thus cooled less.

Same for home AC. Some systems have a two speed setting on the fan. Low may move less air but it cools it better and de-humidifies.

So it may be not so much the air is cool but feels cooler on the skin due to the velocity.

Or there is indeed something wrong. Start it up, put it on max AC and open the hood to observe the compressor. Note the outside temp (approx is fine, plus of minus 5 degree) and also note how often it cycles on and for how long it stays on.

I'd bet it's low on freon. Add the fact that the MN12 and FN10 a/c systems are inadequate in a high heat/high humidity environment. Fought with ford on this one on a new 95 thunderbird back in 96. had 3 different dealers work on it. they replaced everything (compressor, vcrm, fan, fan motor, evaporator, condenser, lines, seals, you name it. if it was 93 degrees plus and a 70%+ humidity level, it would never get below 50 degrees on max a/c. they thought I was crazy so they took a new thunderbird, put it in an empty bay and put a thermometer in the center vent and put it on max a/c. it only got down to 48 which is on the upper range of acceptable by ford. It may be working "normal" to ford but it doesn't feel cold.

Members online

No members online now.
Back