questions

k9t8m

Rollin' Twankies
Reaction score
I am looking at an ls for my girlfriend, its an 01 and the owner says it needs ball joints. Is this somthing typical for a 90k mi car? they are available from rockauto right? how had are they are to change? Thanks.

I personally haven't changed one myself, but they are relatively easy if you can find a machine shop to press them in. Other members have managed to do it without the machine shop but it took plenty of elbow grease and some clever thinking. To get the ball joints done, it would entail removing the part that it's fixed onto. I believe it to be the spindle. You would need to remove it and take it to the machine shop to press the old one out and install the new one in. Then go back and reverse the uninstallation procedure. And of course, torque the bolts to specs.

The early model LS's had a problem with ball joints and Ford had a recall for them due to improper torquing of the bolts. Silly question, but ask the owner if he's taken his in for the recall notice.

As for purchasing, there's a member here that sells them by the name of euromarque. I believe he runs some of his items on ebay, but if you mention it to him that you're from here, he may cut you a little break. Maybe since his prices have come down a bit.

I hope this was of help to you.

yes its common.... i bit the bullet and bought the lincoln ones.... took me allot less time to install and time = money if you ask me

the lowers are part of the knuckle and i had both knuckles replaced for about 800, they told me that you couldnt buy the ball joints seperate, stupid dealership. im sure its considerably less to press new ones in

just please make sure that you research which ball joint your LS needs though. there are two sizes, 14mm and 16mm i believe, you check it by the exact date that the the car was built. if you decide to go with the whole setup rather than just the ball joints definitely call Max at 5 Star Ford. great price and a pleasure to deal with

Members online

No members online now.
Back