Questions about the northstar 4.6 engine and chip

BlackMark8Li

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so I recentlly bought a 2004 pontiac bonneville gxp. It has the 4.6 v8 rated at 275hp. now Its detuned somehow and I had heard that the computer is locked and can't be cracked, so its impossible to get a chip for it. Is this true? anyone know of a way to get around this?

Anything for the N* engine is locked. There are rumors going around that a company has cracked this "code" but nothing about this rumor has surfaced.

Sorry man, you're locked in for now...

I just have 1 more question. WHY? how could theer be chips for just about every car under the sun, even old pos's and yet for a popular engine theres nothing? Is it really that hard to do, compared to altering other new computer cars?

Ok. Which part of "locked" eludes you? I'm not trying to be an ass, (for once), but it's locked. Encrypted. The didn't want people messing with the tune... take your pick. Most of the other stuff out there is not "locked" or password protected.

Chances are that engine application just isnt sought after for performance upgrades. I mean, look at the poor LS guys. Short of an intake and some other bolt ons, there really isn't an aftermarket for them. I'm talking performance aftermarket, not bling bling aftermarket.

Your best bet is to call the ponticrap division of GM, and ask them why they locked the tune/computer. Chances are you wont get an answer, but you never know.

Now, I am a firm believer that once a car is out of manufacturer's warranty, the owner shoud be allowed to make whatever changes they want to the tune... even if it's a change that will blow up the motor. But while the car is under the factory warranty, you really don't have much of a leg to stand on questioning them why they locked the computer. After all, would you like to be a car manufacturer, then having the customer expect you to fix it after they effed it up by changing the tune?

I don't know much about those pontiacs. maybe the tranny won't take the full potential of the motor. Maybe the... maybe... oh hell, you get what I mean. I'm going to bed. I had way too much fun today in Denver.

Ok. Which part of "locked" eludes you? I'm not trying to be an ass, (for once), but it's locked. Encrypted. The didn't want people messing with the tune... take your pick. Most of the other stuff out there is not "locked" or password protected.

Chances are that engine application just isnt sought after for performance upgrades. I mean, look at the poor LS guys. Short of an intake and some other bolt ons, there really isn't an aftermarket for them. I'm talking performance aftermarket, not bling bling aftermarket.

Your best bet is to call the ponticrap division of GM, and ask them why they locked the tune/computer. Chances are you wont get an answer, but you never know.

Now, I am a firm believer that once a car is out of manufacturer's warranty, the owner shoud be allowed to make whatever changes they want to the tune... even if it's a change that will blow up the motor. But while the car is under the factory warranty, you really don't have much of a leg to stand on questioning them why they locked the computer. After all, would you like to be a car manufacturer, then having the customer expect you to fix it after they effed it up by changing the tune?

I don't know much about those pontiacs. maybe the tranny won't take the full potential of the motor. Maybe the... maybe... oh hell, you get what I mean. I'm going to bed. I had way too much fun today in Denver.

a bunch of ppl on here have giving me crap about the pontiac.. well I've had it for a month now and I'd take it ANYDAY over my old mark8. it handles so much better, it rides so much smoother, it even looks better, looks more modern, oh and has more luxury features. the only bad part about it is its fwd, but I kinda like that too. and you would think with as popuar as caddys are that there would be some company that knows how to get around it. I mean its not like the 4.6 is a new engine that just came out last year.

They are nice, but rember - what year was that mark and what year is your ponitac?

Apples and oranges man ;)

And also - yes, that computer is encrypted so noone but the dealer can get in there - and even i'm not sure about that. I think they send out the ECM to a gm plant to get replaced n' stuff.

Basically GM has that whole ECM on lock man - and there isn't jack anyone has been able to do yet...

They are nice, but rember - what year was that mark and what year is your ponitac?

Apples and oranges man ;)

And also - yes, that computer is encrypted so noone but the dealer can get in there - and even i'm not sure about that. I think they send out the ECM to a gm plant to get replaced n' stuff.

Basically GM has that whole ECM on lock man - and there isn't jack anyone has been able to do yet...

I don't think so!
The Northstar PCM Nazi is here.
Watch out or you will get nothing!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back