Question

LennDawg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
hey i was just curious if anybody knew about the law saying you need a license plate on the front and the back of your car... is this true in New York State that you need to have both on your car, or is it ok to drive around with one or the other? dumb question, but i was thinking my car would look a hell of a lot better with the front plate off

The law varies from state to state. For instance Indiana which is where I have been staying for the last three months does not require you to have a front license plate. I came back to Iowa last week and had to put it back on(because the car is still resitered in Iowa) or I would have been pulled over for sure. If the majority of people have them on then I would say it is required, Indiana only gives you one plate when you register your car.

Probably if everyone else in New York has their front license plate on it must be legal to do so, yea it does look better with it off, im lucky its not required down here in florida.

Typically - if your DMV issues two plates them two plate are required. The states the do not require them often only issue one for the back, as it usually was a cost saving move.

I don't need one, but have the bracket for one. I don't want to remove it because of the holes it will leave. I know you can plug them, but I want a flush finish.

Must be nice OHIO is 2 all the way, unless you own Ferrari and it does really matter all of a sudden to most cops. HAHA I dont have one of my 67 E-type cause I hate the look it gives the car, never been pulled over or questioned about it but there again its a collector car not a everyday driver. Good luck!

-Scott-

I heard Ohio may be re-thinking having two plates as a way to save money. Something tells me they won't lower the yearly registration cost though :)

Lance1111 said:
I heard Ohio may be re-thinking having two plates as a way to save money. Something tells me they won't lower the yearly registration cost though :)

You are correct I dont know what every happened to that rumor. I wish they would, make my life easier. They actually just went to all personalized plates being plastic and not steel.

-Scott-

Does Ohio use lasers for speed detection? That is one reason states are not using just one plate. They need to shoot their laser at the front plate.

2001LS8Sport said:
Does Ohio use lasers for speed detection? That is one reason states are not using just one plate. They need to shoot their laser at the front plate.

Yes they do use laser and that is a good reason why we arent stepping down to 1 plate in Ohio, bastards!!

-Scott-

Members online

No members online now.
Back