Question for electrical gurus---

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
For the last several weeks I have been doing more work on my '02 LS V8 than driving it. In truth, there have been several times in the life of the car---I bought it new---when It was setting for several weeks at a time. It was my practice to put a trickle charger on the battery when it was just setting but this time it was where it would have taken several extension cords, and I have a hundred foot and a fifty---and that wouldn't have been enough.

In any case, I finished the work I was doing and started for home, a distance of about five miles. But when I was driving I flipped the switch that provides power to all my auxiliary gauges and was astounded to see that the voltage gauge was sliding south of 12 volts. I had just enough juice to get around the next corner and the engine died.

I brought it home 'on-the-hook'---actually a flat bed, and pulled the battery. I gave it a full 14 volt charge and then left it on the charger to trickle since yesterday afternoon. But now, although it starts easily, the voltage gauge in the car only shows 12 volts. Yet the gauge has typically shown 14+ when driving down the street, as my memory serves me. The battery isn't the best; being several years old. I'll take a VOM and test it again tomorrow.

Now, here's the question! In your experience, is it more likely that I exhausted what was left of the battery in starting and driving the 3-4 miles before it quit---and the alternator wasn't able to provide enough charge with the battery depleted? Or is the problem that it's time for another alternator? Or, horror of horrors---both?:(:(:(:(

Your input is appreciated!!!

KS

Time for another alternator. Possibly, the nearly discharged battery pushed it over the edge, but it was going to happen soon anyway.

That's what I supposed. I have a lifetime warranty on the one in the car, and another is already ordered. I changed it, the first time, in the pits of an ECTA race in North Carolina. In the dark. And with a flashlight. It had died right on the starting line. The next day I set four records with it---in two classes.

Thanks, Joe. I knew I'd get an answer from you.

KS

If it stayed above 14V running I'd say just the battery was bad. But yeah, alternator is likely giving up. You may be able to salvage the battery if it wasn't discharged too long but honestly its so cheap to replace.

Members online

No members online now.
Back