question for auto body guys

V-Tally

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, as some of you may know, I am fixing up a 1983 AMC eagle sx/4. I am also a member at an AMC eagle forum, but because I feel more at home here i figured I would ask you guys the question (its also not very eagle specific, so I figure it's safe). What do you think this kind of frame repair should run me at a shop (The rot starts at the left side of picture 2 and ends at the Jack stand)? Also junking the bird isn't an option. This is the only part of the Subframe that is rotted. The other side, and the rest of the car is clean.

car rot 001.jpg

car rot 002.jpg

car rot 003.jpg

car rot 004.jpg

car rot 005.jpg

God I hate rust.

Its so dam rusty there in nothing you can weld to.
You almost have to find a replacement frame or a large part of it.
Is it a sub-frame??
If its a sub-frame I would look for a whole new one out of the rust belt.

Honest its going to be a hard fix.

I can't give you a price but it wont be cheap to to it right.
You want it done right so the car is safe.

It might be cheaper to go find one out of state not so rusty, and try to make one out of the two.

Don't drive it...its not safe.
One pot hole away from disaster.

thanks ford nut. Yes it is a sub-frame. The biggest problem with finding a replacement subframe is how rare these cars are in bone yards. The other problem is that most of them rot in the same spot. From what I understand someone would have to fabricate a replacement subframe. I am not planning on driving the car, trust me, glad to know you have my safety in mind though :). The car was put on jackstands because I was replacing the whole front end due to a deathwobble.

That is a pretty damn involved fix.... and if that rust exists than there is way more rust on the car....

Well I got a $1000 quote from a body place in Staten Island (with me pulling the engine). Today someone from a local place is going to come take a look at it for me, give me an idea of what they can do, and at what price. Rot wise this really is the only problem area, the rest of the car is pretty solid with only a little surface rust.

$1k for that is fairly cheap IMO... there is at least 10-12 hours in fixing that right.... I'd jump on that offer.

Members online

Back