Question/advice (front brakes)

Lincoln Jealous

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
what wrench do you people use on the front brakes to get the bolts off?

mine are frozen, maybe because its winter-lol but i bought new pads and cant replace them until i get the bolts off

my problem is, the only wrench that fits on the bolt is a 12mm box wrench, i cant get a socket wrench on it because of the knuckle in the way.ive tried vise grips,but i just dont want to keep striping the bolt. should i pb blast it, or heat it up?

If I remember correctly, it's only necessary to turn the wheels away from straight ahead, and it becomes possible to get a socket, short extension and ratchet in to do the job!

KS

If I remember correctly, it's only necessary to turn the wheels away from straight ahead, and it becomes possible to get a socket, short extension and ratchet in to do the job!

KS

really? i must of turned it the wrong way, because i turned it all the way one way and still could get a socket, thanks

Turning the wheels left and right helps a little, but it doesn't clear the bolts completely. Buy a swivel socket and you should be good to go.
I wound up stripping mine off too using a wrench, when I changed out the brakes. Might be a good idea to buy an extra bolt or two before you start taking it apart.

EDIT: They have bunch of different types/shapes of swivel sockets. Some are little bulkier than others. Try getting the smallest/thinnest 12mm you can.

Turning the wheels left and right helps a little, but it doesn't clear the bolts completely. Buy a swivel socket and you should be good to go.
I wound up stripping mine off too using a wrench, when I changed out the brakes. Might be a good idea to buy an extra bolt or two before you start taking it apart.

EDIT: They have bunch of different types/shapes of swivel sockets. Some are little bulkier than others. Try getting the smallest/thinnest 12mm you can.

glad im not alone haha , thanks for the advice

i used a 12mm box end wrench and smacked it with a hammer after i used some penetrating oil to break em loose the first time i did em. the previous owner didnt take of the linc very well and they were frozen up pretty good. get some new caliper studs and rubber boots and grease em up good so they dont sieze up on you later.

Sorry can't remember the size but a socket with a medium/short sized extension should do the trick. I thought it sucked that they hid the bolt like that.

i used a 12mm box end wrench and smacked it with a hammer after i used some penetrating oil to break em loose the first time i did em. the previous owner didnt take of the linc very well and they were frozen up pretty good. get some new caliper studs and rubber boots and grease em up good so they dont sieze up on you later.

same thing with me, previous owner or mechanic over tightened these bolts

Members online

No members online now.
Back