Question about upper timing chain tensioner

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was going to have my tune up and valve covers changed a few weeks ago but some stuff came up! But I am gonna have it done in the next week or so and I know how the upper tensioners do on these cars so I figured since I am having the valve covers done its a great time to go ahead and swap them tensioners out. Which part number should I use to replace them with on a 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8. Also which bolts will it need as I will want to replace them as well.

There's no need - you have the late design which are fine. If you really want to, then just do a general search for Lincoln LS tensioners. I think Christopher's foreign parts is still selling on ebay. I don't think you can even buy the plastic ones - only the metal bodies are on the market. No idea on the bolts, doubt they're available. A common hardware store bolt might work? It's been 11 years since I had one in my hands, so no idea really. But there's no need to replace them.

the AJ35 already has a tsubaki morse timing chain and new style tensioners

the $49.99 ebay tensioner kit is made in japan and comes with shorter bolts. works great

Yeah Dale... it shouldn't need new tensioners with the milage you have on that 2003.

Less than 100k... correct???

Mine have 232k on them... no noise. Just keep running that synthetic oil, and a good filter.

You probably don't need vcg's yet either.

Easy way to tell, would be to remove the coils and look down in the plug wells. If all is dry... then leave the vcg's alone. You might end up with a leak you didn't have before.

Yeah Dale... it shouldn't need new tensioners with the milage you have on that 2003.

Less than 100k... correct???

Mine have 232k on them... no noise. Just keep running that synthetic oil, and a good filter.

You probably don't need vcg's yet either.

Easy way to tell, would be to remove the coils and look down in the plug wells. If all is dry... then leave the vcg's alone. You might end up with a leak you didn't have before.
Yeah, it has 53,000 miles as of today. I was just worried about the age of them more than anything and I bought the entire valve cover for both sides with the gasket preinstalled. I am just trying to avoid a failure randomly after I replace the Coils (COPS) and spark plugs. Them things cost too much to want to risk a puddle of oil suddenly!

I was going to have my tune up and valve covers changed a few weeks ago but some stuff came up! But I am gonna have it done in the next week or so and I know how the upper tensioners do on these cars so I figured since I am having the valve covers done its a great time to go ahead and swap them tensioners out. Which part number should I use to replace them with on a 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8. Also which bolts will it need as I will want to replace them as well.
I just did mine on a 2001 and a simple job it is , but I just went to Amazon and looked them up I think 71 bucks and came with 2 chains as for the bolts I just used 2 3mm washers and ever so gently tightened them.
If you never did these before I would start on the right side passenger side as it is a ton easier to do first

My mechanic got in there today and it was in perfect condition he said and the motor was very clean. So luckily I won't need to mess with them tensioners! However, I was right in my idea to go ahead and change the valve covers cause there was oil in one of the boots!

Edit: Turned out to be a very good idea the passenger's side had all 4 coil boots soaked in oil and the cover was slightly leaking. I am hoping this could have caused some of my random codes in the car but I won't hold my breathe but then again oil and electrical connectors don't exactly mix!

Last edited:
Well technically... the oil never reaches the connector on the coil.

What actually happens... is that the oil in the plug well acts as a conductor of sorts... and shorts the coil to ground.
Actually, it degrades the plug boot, which is/was the insulator. The oil itself does not really conduct, but the air does, and maybe any contaminates in the oil.

There's no need - you have the late design which are fine. If you really want to, then just do a general search for Lincoln LS tensioners. I think Christopher's foreign parts is still selling on ebay. I don't think you can even buy the plastic ones - only the metal bodies are on the market. No idea on the bolts, doubt they're available. A common hardware store bolt might work? It's been 11 years since I had one in my hands, so no idea really. But there's no need to replace them.
I have a 2003 V8 and my secondary tensioner needs replacing. I had always understood only the plastic Gen 1 tensioners went bad and 2003 -2006 years were ok. That's not the case, as least with my 2003. Maybe mine had an early production date and still has the plastic tensioners, I dunno.. Was quoted $1800 for the job at a local garage. Ouch!

I have a 2003 V8 and my secondary tensioner needs replacing. I had always understood only the plastic Gen 1 tensioners went bad and 2003 -2006 years were ok. That's not the case, as least with my 2003. Maybe mine had an early production date and still has the plastic tensioners, I dunno.. Was quoted $1800 for the job at a local garage. Ouch!
Too bad you didn't live in my neck of the woods in NC my guy charged me right at $400 to do the valve covers, spark plugs, coils, belt tensioner, and belt, rear-wheel knuckles, and rear brakes and rotors labor for $386! He even cleaned the MAF and the Throttle Body as a part of this service. That was also including the price of the belt far as the parts go otherwise I already had everything. I had a Gen 1 Belt so it could not be used. I had bought some of these parts for my Gen 1 but since I no longer have it I still put the parts that fit to use.

Last edited:
If you where any where near me I'd be more then happy to install them for you I just did mine and it's so easy just remember to follow torque specs to the letter it took me about 6 hours both sides I wouldnt chage you but a good steak dinner and a few good story's a few laughs I'm here in phoenix AZ, and always willing to turn a few wrenches

look under the valve covers yourself

highly doubt a gen 2 could have the iwis single roller chain and plastic tensioners

I know you guys are talking V8's here, but this is a question I have had about our 2000 V6 since we acquired it almost 4 years ago, it's approaching 240,000. Can anyone give me some input as to what I can expect?

The V6 has two chains. One for each bank. 2 cam gears per bank... both running off a double row crank gear.

The V6 doesn't have VVT or secondary timing chains.

If all is quiet and running normally... keep doing what you have been doing for the last 240k. If you are hearing unusual noises coming from behind the timing chain cover... then might be time to replace them.

They will eventually start making noise when the chains are worn out.

Thank you for the input guys. This has been bothering me since I inherited this car, because my '56 292 broke its MUCH more substantial and much shorter timing chain at an even 200,000 miles (in Fairbanks Alaska). I hear nothing from the chain in the 2000 ls, so I guess I'm okay, but then I heard nothing from the '56 before it broke. I'll chalk this one up to automotive progress and keep an ear on it!

Members online

No members online now.
Back