Question about SST conversion

cobra_1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, a question about conversion from the non-sport transmission shifter to the SST. I have an 02 LS V8, can I put any year SST shifter in it or does the shifter have to come from a 00-02?

Thanks,
Lonnie

02 V8; 17" chrome wheels; White
Chippewa Falls, WI

Must be from 00-02. or else it won't fit in your console. the 03-06 have a more square shape.

next question...

how SAFE is it to convert to SST? doesnt the tranny need some changes?

I'm assuming you need an SST ecu too?

Nothing needs to be done to the trans. Just have to align some stuff to the SST selector or else it will just keep working like the previous 'selector.'

next question...

how SAFE is it to convert to SST? doesnt the tranny need some changes?

It's just a different shifter. It is a direct bolt in. If you don't have the pcm reprogrammed you will lose D4.

Nothing needs to be done to the trans. Just have to align some stuff to the SST selector or else it will just keep working like the previous 'selector.'

Nothing needs to be realigned. The pcm will read the SST shifter right away. The only reason you lose D4 is because the pcm reads the shifter pattern linearly.

The non-SST is read:
P
R
N
D5 D4

The SST shifter is read:
P
R
N
D5
D4

As you can see, without the pcm program, the computer thinks the shifter is in 3rd and not the SST indicated D4.

Thanks for the information. I just switched mine last night and it was not to bad of a job. The car recognised the shifter instantly and as stated earlier I will have to have it reprogrammed to regain D4. I did notice when using the SST it will shift into 1 but when at a stop light or when starting it will shift to 2 and unless I realy get on it it will not go back to 1. Is this normal or will the re-programming fix this issue? I recommend this to anyone who has the standard shifter it is a lot of fun to drive with the SST.

Thanks for the information. I just switched mine last night and it was not to bad of a job. The car recognised the shifter instantly and as stated earlier I will have to have it reprogrammed to regain D4. I did notice when using the SST it will shift into 1 but when at a stop light or when starting it will shift to 2 and unless I realy get on it it will not go back to 1. Is this normal or will the re-programming fix this issue? I recommend this to anyone who has the standard shifter it is a lot of fun to drive with the SST.

Congrats! The worst part is the disassembly/assembly! There is that green connector under the car.....

To avoid the gas-guzzler tax '00-'02 LSes will start in 2nd in SST mode; UNLESS >60% throttle is applied. The EPA didn't require an SST test, so the '03-'06 was able to start in 1st gear in SST mode.

LS4me: Thank you for the reply. I really enjoy the SST, my fuel mileage is sucking right now because I can't quit using the shifter and of course you have to run the RPM's up to get the full enjoyment out of it..

Members online

Back