Question about replacing Gen. 2 Thermostat Housing

Shredicus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So as preventative maintenance in preparation for the outlandishly hot summers we have here I am looking to replace my Degass bottle and thermostat housing as they're both notorious for cracking due to the hot/cold/pressure. On the subject of the thermostat housing do I need to only replace the housing (RH-134) or replace the water inlet tube as well?

Also where would I pick up the appropriate thermostat for this housing? It uses as 180 right?

Thanks!

The picture they have for the housing is wrong. I don't know if the part is correct or not (it does say that the picture might not match).

The water inlet tube cracks more often than the housing.

The thermostat is 195 degrees and it is a bit more complicated than most thermostats. Here's a diagram of the thermostat that also shows what the front housing looks like.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33007.htm~gen~ref.htm

There's a plastic tube that connects the water inlet tube to the top of the engine. It's a pain to replace, but might be worth it. Then manual says the intake manifold has to come off to do it, but it doesn't. Also, both main radiator hoses have plastic sections that crack. If you do replace those too, this would be a great time to replace the drive belt and its tensioner, as everything is out of the way.

You're awesome Joe, thanks.

The climate here is really hard on rubber/plastic components as its all dry heat and reaches up to 120f in the summer so I really want to make sure the cooling system is up to spec. Where would be the best place to get those replacement hoses? Max?

These are the hoses to replace right?

s6xusenfilen0005516gifgenref.gif

Also I know virtually nothing above drive belts and tensioners so would I need to replace the whole tensioner assembly or just the pully wheel?

edit: Oh and to the picture not matching; I just googled the part number so I could provide a link. I am ordering it directly from Max so I should be getting the correct one. Appreciate the concern though

The upper radiator hose is shown here.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33010.htm~gen~ref.htm
It's item 4, connects to the coolant outlet tube.

I've had nothing but good experiences using Max for parts.

Your life will be easier if you get some hose clamp pliers.
Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic (AST9409A) Hose Clamp Pliers: Automotive

These help to get some of the hoses off, but you may have to [very carefully] cut them.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-long-reach-hose-grip-pliers-37909.html

Look at the aluminum Jag t-stat housing. It has to last longer than the plastic one. A few of us have installed it and so far so good.

Look at the aluminum Jag t-stat housing. It has to last longer than the plastic one. A few of us have installed it and so far so good.

There isn't one for the Gen2 unless you count the S-Type R housing which is a completely different setup.

If only there were one for gen II.

So as preventative maintenance in preparation for the outlandishly hot summers we have here I am looking to replace my Degass bottle and thermostat housing as they're both notorious for cracking due to the hot/cold/pressure. On the subject of the thermostat housing do I need to only replace the housing (RH-134) or replace the water inlet tube as well?

Also where would I pick up the appropriate thermostat for this housing? It uses as 180 right?

Thanks!

Just replaced both of those and the down tube. I got them from the dealer because I couldn't find the part names online for the life of me. Chances are once you start taking the plastic apart, it's all going to be cracked or damaged. Mine was and I have an 06.

I got my thermostat and the housing in one package from an AutoZone for around $50, so they are easy to find. Just make sure you specify 06 and they will get you the right piece. A lot of the pics online are wrong as stated above.

Oh, and I forgot to add. Make sure you order all the o-ring seals and gaskets that go with these parts. (They are separate parts that don't come with the plastic pieces, if you order from Ford anyway.)

Ok here's what I've got on order so far from Max:

Upper radiator hose + heater hose
3W4Z 8260 BB :HOSE ASY
3W4Z 18472 AD :HOSE – HEAT

Thermostat housing, water outlet, thermostat, appropriate gaskets.
3W4Z 8592 AA :CONNECTION
3W4Z 8548 AD :TUBE - WATER
XW4Z 8575 CA :THERMOSTAT
XW4Z 8590 BA :SEAL
XW4Z 8255 CA :GASKET

Price for this came out to around ~$180 from Max. Not bad

Anything missing other than the degas bottle?

You know it's funny. My car is at the dealership getting the valve cover gasket and a couple coils replaced under extended warranty(thanks joe) and they noted that the coolant system had a minor leak somewhere. I was just going to get this out of the way as a preventative maintenance thing as surely the summer here would eradicate a cooling system teetering on the edge of malfunctioning so this is all working out quite well.

Members online

Back