Question about plugs/coils on the V6

Ntwrkguy1

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first Lincoln LS, a 2-owner 2003 Ceramic White V6 with 91,000 miles from Florida. The previous owner didn't have any records prior to 2012, so I don't know whether the plugs/coils have been replaced or not. Fortunately, she garaged the car and gave it frequent washings, so that makes up for some poor record keeping on her part....haha.

I found some great information on this sticky: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76318-Please-read-before-posting-new-threads

One thing I didn't see being discussed is whether the plugs and coils are prone to go bad on the V8 more often than the V6, or whether both motors eat these things equally. Do the V6's run platinum plugs from the factory? And is there any reason to change the plugs/coils BEFORE you start having trouble? As of right now, the car is running fine.

It seems like the V6 has less coil trouble than the V8, but it does have some failures.
Yes, the spark plugs are platinum, but they are a different part and different gap than the V8.
As long as you are sure there are no marginal misfires (perfectly smooth at all acceleration rates), then I would leave them alone.

It seems like the V6 has less coil trouble than the V8, but it does have some failures.
Yes, the spark plugs are platinum, but they are a different part and different gap than the V8.
As long as you are sure there are no marginal misfires (perfectly smooth at all acceleration rates), then I would leave them alone.

It does seem smooth at all acceleration rates, so I'll leave them alone. I drove it up from FL to NC last week and averaged 27mpg, so I would think the plugs are pretty clean.

Members online

No members online now.
Back