question about paint coat

lloydrage

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I heard of this paint protector/paint clear coat. Also its called paint sealant for cars

does any one know anything about this item?

is it worth it?

thanks

paint coat

Iam an auto detailer for a car dealer I work with it all the time.. Simonize is what most of the dealers use, they get big bucks when they sell it.. I dont like the paint seal, I think it is just as good as wax.. It wont last as long as it is said to.. Get your self a good wax with some teflon in it, and just keep up on it every couple of month's...If you do get the paint seal use a mild car wash soap (No carwashes) so the paint seal will last longer and it still wont hurt to wax over the paint seal..

Many refer to clear coat as "paint sealant". If you are talking about clear coat this is basically clear paint that is the topcoat in most automotive finishes...and typically NOT something you apply at home. Sorry if this sounds ignorant but it sounds like this is what you are asking.

beaups said:
Many refer to clear coat as "paint sealant". If you are talking about clear coat this is basically clear paint that is the topcoat in most automotive finishes...and typically NOT something you apply at home. Sorry if this sounds ignorant but it sounds like this is what you are asking.

I am looking at getting this done at a body shop.

I am just wondering if its worth it and if it will make my paint look better longer

again we may be misunderstanding each other here. if you are in fact referring to clear coat your car already has that. It's clear paint....on top of the base (or colored) coat.

beaups said:
again we may be misunderstanding each other here. if you are in fact referring to clear coat your car already has that. It's clear paint....on top of the base (or colored) coat.

I was told it was paint sealant (which could be clear coat). I was also told that it makes the car look better and helps protect against sratches, water spots, etc.

that is true, but you already have that. never heard of someone spraying more clearcoat on but I'm no expert either.

I was going to get mine redone, the place said it would make a difference, but not a huge diff. like if you were to repaint your car. you would still get a difference outta doing it.

Not quite sure what you're referring to, but clear coat is already present on your car -- you should not need to put it on again. I think you may be referring to a paint sealant. A paint sealant is a product that is applied over the existing clearcoat. It is like a wax, but it lasts longer because it chemically bonds to the clearcoat. The best product I've tried is Meguiar's NXT Wax. In spite of being marketed as a wax, it is not a wax at all, but rather a chemical sealant. If I were you, I'd save my money on the body shop sealant and do the job yourself. You can get the NXT wax at Walmart or a parts store for less than $20, and in a few hours, your car will look great and be protected.

I agree with the Meguiar's NXT wax I have used it on several cars that I detail as a side job and it looks great. If you want your car to look great take it to a pro detailer and get it clayed, buffed and waxed then get some Meguiar's NXT wax keep it looking great yourself.

Are using clay bars really that good? I've seen them, but I've never really looked into them too much. How do they work?

I was told it is paint sealant. I wasnt told it was clear coat. I am assuming there is a difference between the two.

Griff said:
Are using clay bars really that good? I've seen them, but I've never really looked into them too much. How do they work?

I was skeptical about the results of claybars, but I gave one a try anyway. I was amazed. The clay is actually a plasticine resin that literally pulls out contaminants that are bonded to the clearcoat. The result is a clean and smooth finish that is in perfect condition to accept wax. I was so impressed by the clay, I use it as part of my twice yearly super detail.

I would definitely recommend that you at least try it for yourself and see how it works.

Members online

Back