Question about instrument cluster gen 2 LS V8

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
If it is very rainy outside or just very dark or cloudy but very dark should the instrument cluster nighttime light come on? It was about 6 pm yesterday and we had bad visibility and my instrument cluster did not light up. I have noticed this one not wanting to light up till it's about completely dark outside. My gen 1 came on for sure in the conditions I am talking about. I still keep seeing several codes on the car and all the stuff that is throwing codes is working completely as expected.
191239497_121874223305052_4544553204181024295_n.jpg

Last edited:
But this morning it was raining very hard and is pretty dark outside and it just came on when I took the screenshot of my car codes. Not saying it does not work all the time but it seems to be spotty to say the very least.

Instrument cluster lighting on the LS only comes on when the parking or headlights are on. Yes, this is not like most other cars these days.
The headlights will come on if it is dark enough, or if it is raining, if they are set to auto.

Instrument cluster lighting on the LS only comes on when the parking or headlights are on. Yes, this is not like most other cars these days.
The headlights will come on if it is dark enough, or if it is raining, if they are set to auto.
Well to that point I had the headlights set to On yesterday and it did not light up. I typically tend to keep them set to on when I am driving in case of the rain so I don't forget to turn headlights on if using the wipers!

If your dash is lit when the lights are off and not lit when the lights are on you may have the dimmer set all the way down.

If your dash is lit when the lights are off and not lit when the lights are on you may have the dimmer set all the way down.
The dimmer switch is all the way up. This was the reason I replaced the switch cause that dimmer switch spring was worn out and would move around! Dash is not lighting up if the headlights are set to on.

The dimmer switch is all the way up. This was the reason I replaced the switch cause that dimmer switch spring was worn out and would move around! Dash is not lighting up if the headlights are set to on.
If it was all the way up, your interior lights would be on all the time.
How's the background lighting on the switches?
Do the VF displays dim when the headlights are on as you adjust the dimmer?

If it was all the way up, your interior lights would be on all the time.
What I mean by all the way up is as far as it goes up without the interior lights being on. I should have said that differently lol!

What I mean by all the way up is as far as it goes up without the interior lights being on. I should have said that differently lol!
Fair enough...
What about the VF displays and the switch lighting?

Fair enough...
What about the VF displays and the switch lighting?
I may sound like an idiot but what do you mean by that. (Sorry working on very little sleep right now) I know the VF should mean the cluster display right? If so that works as expected. And all the switches that control lights work as expected and their lights work.

I may sound like an idiot but what do you mean by that. (Sorry working on very little sleep right now) I know the VF should mean the cluster display right? If so that works as expected.
The VF (vacuum fluorescent) displays are the one with the odometers and gear display (left), the one with the messages (right), and the climate control. (Also the radio if that is stock and non-nav.) And, most of the switches have backlights, including the window switches, lock switch, climate control switches, message center switches, stock radio switches, ...

The VF (vacuum fluorescent) displays are the one with the odometers and gear display (left), the one with the messages (right), and the climate control. (Also the radio if that is stock and non-nav.) And, most of the switches have backlights, including the window switches, lock switch, climate control switches, message center switches, stock radio switches, ...
Oh ok, I will check again tonight and make sure they all work thanks for the clarification. I have an appointment Tuesday with an electrical shop in town so they can see what is going on exactly. But if any of them are burned out I will get that fixed as well. I know I have seen more random codes in the past than what I have mentioned but they always come from the instrument cluster according to apps like forscan so I have something going on I am sure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back