Question about EGR valve

Never say never, but I would expect that you would have excess flow codes well before it got to enough for any misfires, let alone specific cylinder misfires.

Thank you.

I'm going to attempt to find the culprit. I'm ordering Accel coils (and reversing the terminals on the plug) that I found on here. If I still have the misfire, I may attempt to swap the EGR valve and throttle body. All else fails, I will send in the PCM for repair.

I have a good gut feeling its my PCM.
Anyone have a CANADIAN contact for PCM repair? Sending this to SIA united States during Covid with the shipping delays is not ideal.

(Edit: Thought I should write here, that the misfires are audible on cold start, once the engine warms up you dont hear them anymore).

Last edited:
Sure it's not dirty or failing injectors?

Try running a can of Seafoam fuel system treatment through the engine. Just dump a can in before you fill the tank.

How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed?

You can also check your injectors electrically
IMG_20200602_002609468.jpg
by using something like this.

Plug boots in good condition? Is there oil in the plug wells? ... caused by leaky valve cover gaskets?

Just a couple ideas before you spend a bunch of money on coils.

And IMO... the Accels aren't any better than other good quality coils... but a hassle waiting to happen when the coil connectors fall apart while swapping pins.

And Joe is right. You will have codes for coil failures... long before a faulty EGR valve will cause a misfire.

The EGR has its own codes... when it goes bad.

Ok cause I saw a youtube video that the guy said his misfires were caused by EGR valve and he did a video on replacing it. Thanks for the info.
When I bought my 2006 LS the previous owner had almost every damn exhaust recirculation hose blocked off...I did have EGR code and EVAP codes ...but not one single misfire and it ran like a top the whole time until I replaced all components and hoses

Ok damn. I was about to start a new thread..but I am having same exact issue...cyl#7 misfire..so I pulled the coil, checked resistance against another good one..same. put new plug in and swapped the coil around just to be sure. Still cyl#7. U can feel it on startup..but running it's fine untill low rpm idling like at lights..not I have had my EGR throwing codes at me intermittently for a while..just haven't gotten to swapping it with the new one. Also getting bank 1 rich bank 2 lean codes..but those I suspect are just from the misfire and the pcm trying to compensate...orders a new set of coils and motocraft plugs just in case (also when u do the accell swap...grab Atleast 4 spare coil connectors..pico makes em there like 5$ each...you'll appreciate it) but looks like I better swap my EGR and seafoam the beast now...

Ok damn. I was about to start a new thread..but I am having same exact issue...cyl#7 misfire..so I pulled the coil, checked resistance against another good one..same. put new plug in and swapped the coil around just to be sure. Still cyl#7. U can feel it on startup..but running it's fine untill low rpm idling like at lights..not I have had my EGR throwing codes at me intermittently for a while..just haven't gotten to swapping it with the new one. Also getting bank 1 rich bank 2 lean codes..but those I suspect are just from the misfire and the pcm trying to compensate...orders a new set of coils and motocraft plugs just in case (also when u do the accell swap...grab Atleast 4 spare coil connectors..pico makes em there like 5$ each...you'll appreciate it) but looks like I better swap my EGR and seafoam the beast now...

Cyl #7 is causing your bank 2, (drivers side), lean code. Since swapping ignition coils didn't fix the misfire... it might be a bad, plugged, worn, failing fuel injector... or the electrical connection to it.

Cyl #7 is causing your bank 2, (drivers side), lean code. Since swapping ignition coils didn't fix the misfire... it might be a bad, plugged, worn, failing fuel injector... or the electrical connection to it.
Yup, that's what I'm thinking now. Gonna try and solve that in the am...on the plus side new subs go boom make me happy

So I keep getting intermittent on cyl 5 and 8, and I've moved coils around. mechanic scanned the injectors and they show fine. Can it still be the injectors? The live reader shows them operating normally.

So I keep getting intermittent on cyl 5 and 8, and I've moved coils around. mechanic scanned the injectors and they show fine. Can it still be the injectors? The live reader shows them operating normally.
What do the spark plugs look like on 5 and 8? Gapped proper? Normal color? Is the Plug torqued to 20 ft. lbs.? If these are all excellent and proper then something might be going on with your (Coil Over Plugs)

What do the spark plugs look like on 5 and 8? Gapped proper? Normal color? Is the Plug torqued to 20 ft. lbs.? If these are all excellent and proper then something might be going on with your (Coil Over Plugs)

I've replaced the plugs and Coil-overs. Gapped correctly.

But can the injectors still be bad despite reading as healthy on a scanner?

I've replaced the plugs and Coil-overs. Gapped correctly.

But can the injectors still be bad despite reading as healthy on a scanner?
Personally I use Forscan Lite on my Android Samsung 7 Smartphone and when I drive with Dashboard (Live Feed) on and select Fuel Injector Fault and select all 8 injectors I see no faults there are no misfires and car runs perfect...with that being said I don't know what scanner you use?

Personally I use Forscan Lite on my Android Samsung 7 Smartphone and when I drive with Dashboard (Live Feed) on and select Fuel Injector Fault and select all 8 injectors I see no faults there are no misfires and car runs perfect...with that being said I don't know what scanner you use?

My mechanic used a snap-on scanner that showed live telemetry, and showed the injectors working? So as far as I can tell, the injectors have electricity and are squirting. I just dont know if the injectors are too weak and thats something that the scanner cannot show?

The scan tool can only show what the PCM knows. The PCM only knows that the injector coils are drawing about the right amount of current, nothing else. There is no way for any scan tool to know if the injectors are spraying correctly or not.

My mechanic used a snap-on scanner that showed live telemetry, and showed the injectors working? So as far as I can tell, the injectors have electricity and are squirting. I just dont know if the injectors are too weak and thats something that the scanner cannot show?
I would agree 100% with Joe on this one ...scanners don't recognize mechanical failure ...it's all electric feedback ...good call JOE!

wouldn't that be something...l if the whole time your complete WOES and PROBLEMS were clogged up injectors...I'm not by any means saying this is the case 100% just saying it is a possibility ;)

Well I guess I will find out then. I'm gonna order some injectors.

I think its interesting that the car would throw itself into failsafe mode (Only when I had the tune on it, doesn't failsafe stock) over clogged injectors. Thank you guys for the replies.

Can any one recommend any Injectors? Should I go 1000cc for the tune?

EDIT: What about fuel filters, can I just buy a K&N filter (are they universal fit)?

Last edited:
Try running a can of Seafoam fuel system treatment through the engine. Just dump a can in before you fill the tank.
When I got the car, I ran seafoam through the intake. Cleaned out a whole lot. I can try this, does Seafoam in the fuel mix actually work?

I tried STP fuel injector cleaner few months back, didn't do anything.

How long has it been since the fuel filter was changed?

I haven't changed it myself, I can order one and do it.

Plug boots in good condition? Is there oil in the plug wells? ... caused by leaky valve cover gaskets?

Plugs are in good condition. No oil in the wells.

Members online

No members online now.
Back