Question about audio system

LSter

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be replacing the factory in dash 6 disc in my 04 LS sport. Its not the nav system and has the "12" speaker setup. When I pulled the radio to look at the connections, there are 4 plugs on the back of the unit. I know that one is the main connection and one is for the rear sub amp. My question is what in the world are the other two for? I suspect the larger of the other two is for the SAT or auxiliary, but the only thing I can guess for the 4th is the center channel amp. Am I correct or are they for something else?

I don't have my wiring diagrams with me. I'll have to look later, but I am only remembering three connectors plus the antenna.

1. Large connector with power, speakers, data bus, and so on.
2. Small connector with audio for the sub-woofers, audio for the center channel, and the two amplifier turn-on signals.
3. small connector (usually with to wires connected) with audio only data bus. Also has connections for factory phone and maybe satellite radio.

Mine has 4 distinct plugs plus the antenna. If you are looking at the back of the radio, it goes like this (from left to right): antenna, small square plug (rear amp), small rectangular plug, small square plug (yellow and black wires coming out of it), large rectangular plug (main one, power/speaker). Here is a pic of what I found.

04 LS in dash 6 disc with SAT.JPG

That's was one of my guesses until I noticed the prongs and grooving of the small square plugs. They are very similar, leading me to believe the small square to the right is the center channel amp plug. I'm more curious as to what the rectangular plug to the left is. I'm thinking it has something to do with the SAT or Aux.

That's was one of my guesses until I noticed the prongs and grooving of the small square plugs. They are very similar, leading me to believe the small square to the right is the center channel amp plug. I'm more curious as to what the rectangular plug to the left is. I'm thinking it has something to do with the SAT or Aux.

Center channel and sub-woofer are on the same connector (an 8 pin).

...When I pulled the radio to look at the connections, there are 4 plugs on the back of the unit. ...

Did all four have wiring plugged into them, or only three of them?

Yes, all four were plugged in. However, when I press the SAT button, it says NO SAT or whatever it says when you don't have that feature. The wires coming out of the right hand square plug (closest to main) were all yellow and black.

I was installing a radio that I am going to send back (because I hated it) and only plugged in the main and the sub amp and everything worked fine, so I really don't have a clue as to what the other two actually do.

Yes, all four were plugged in. However, when I press the SAT button, it says NO SAT or whatever it says when you don't have that feature. The wires coming out of the right hand square plug (closest to main) were all yellow and black.

Interesting.
It's been a while, but I could swear that the 6 disc factory radio in my 04 (12 speaker setup) had only three connectors. I found a picture of the back of one on this site, and it only had three as well. I'll see if I can find anything about a 4th connector.

I've seen pics of them too. I do know there's two different radios, 1 without SAT and 1 with SAT.

Could one of the connections be for the back-up sensors? I know that the stock system lowers the volume of the radio when the back-up sensors go off.

Could one of the connections be for the back-up sensors? I know that the stock system lowers the volume of the radio when the back-up sensors go off.

Neither of my '06s do.

Perhaps, I'm not sure. My 06 has the backup sensors, but I have the THX navigation. It does not attenuate the audio when the backup alarm goes off.

I just am wondering what the other two plugs are for so that if I need some sort of additional harness, I can get it.

The 16 pin connector only has 2 wires connected(gy/vt & bu/wh) they are listed as ACP A & ACP B(Audio Corporate Protocol), and are not used. The 6 pin connector has 2 wires connected(gy/bk & bu/ye) and are for the SCP + & SCP - data link.

So neither one of those plugs are used for an aftermarket system, correct?

No, only the factory radio's can read the SCP data(for turning on the illumination, reverse signal, etc..). You will need to make your own connection for illumination.

For the curious, the four radio connectors (C290a C290b, C290c, C290d)...

radio1.jpg

radio2.jpg

radio3.jpg

So neither one of those plugs are used for an aftermarket system, correct?

correct, the only harnesses you will use is the main harness (C290b from above) (which has power, speaker, and steering wheel controls wires in it) and the amp harness for the subs (C290d from above) (and center channel: not recommended)

Members online

Back