Qtn about buying former daily rental

pedaltothemetalgirl

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Certified Pre-Owned 2004 LS V8 with about 20K mi on it - it's a pretty good deal because it was a "daily rental." Anybody have any thoughts? anybody bought and then been disappointed in a car that used to be a daily rental? do renters thrash the vehicles? the car seems to be in really good condition. When might this good deal be not such a good deal? I do have confidence in the LM dealer.

They want $26,900. I've found identical cars priced from $25.5K (not Certified Pre-Owned) to $27.9K (Certified), with moonroof, heated/cooled seats, and all the usual. I'm not sure if these cars are coming from a fleet or dealer loaners or were former Enterprise daily rentals. What do you think about the price?

the price is average, i think you can find the same exact car with the same options for that price thats not a rental, people who rent cars dont usually take care of them for the simple fact that its not theres but if its good cond. go for it..and try to talk the dealer down of course

dont buy a rental. If the price is average buy it from some one who took care of the car. Me personally I trash rentals. neutral drops. donuts. powersliding

I've never rented a car but my friends have and they always, always trash car rentals, it's not your car you dont have to get it serviced so why not push it to the limits!! If you're not getting the car for a steal screw it keep on looking for another LS8 that's NOT a rental. That's just my opinion!!

it's a pretty good deal because it was a "daily rental."

I'm not sure if these cars are coming from a fleet or dealer loaners or were former Enterprise daily rentals.

What's telling you that? Is that what the dealer told you; or did you run a carfax and it said "fleet" on it? Just because it was registered as a fleet vehicle, that doesn't mean it was a rental. A lot of corporate cars and company pool cars are registered as fleet vehicles as well.

Either way it's got 20k on it, and it's certified pre owned (cpo=warranty); if it's clean and runs good I wouldn't see a problem with it; it's not a spectacular deal though. If you have confidence in the dealer, why not try to work out a deal on an extended warranty.

I bought a 2004 LSV8 with 14K on the clock for $26K with the remainder of the factory warranty still in place. Mine was a former Hertz rental from Hawaii shipped back to So Cal. All the other cars within 100 miles according to a car trader web search were more expensive than my LS with more miles, so I think I got a good deal.

The car has pretty much everything except the HID and heated rear seats and the super premium(whatever) stereo, just 6 disc player.

I was nervous about buying a rental since I have seen people trash rentals. But I figure this car is typically too expensive for the real jerks to rent so it probably was rented by a bunch of little old Ladies from Pasadena. Since it was a Hawaii rental, I also assume it was only rented by vacationers with money.

The car was in excellent condition except that the rear trunk was hard to close, probably too many little old ladies with steamer trunks slamming the lid. There were some very small but numerous scratches on the left rear fender, I guess from little old ladies leaning over the fendfer to haul their luggage out. The interior was cleaner than the average used car.

Assuming Hertz maintains their rentals like they do their lease cars(I had a company lease car way back), then I am pretty sure the rental had the normal regular maintenance. The engine was spotless inside and out when I got it.

I DID have problems with the tranny but have read on this site that this is not unusual. The dealer did a minor rebuild under warranty.

The one gotcha with a rental is from what I understand, the rental agencies throw the extra keys and key fobs into a box. When they sell the car, the extras usually do not go with the car. Buying the extra fobs can be expensive, I bought one for I think $17 on eBay. But the real gotcha is that with only one key, you must go to the dealer for a spare. AND YOU MUST ALWAYS HAVE A SPARE, or else if you ever lose the one key, you have to be TOWED in so the dealer can scrape some money off your hide. I have been told keys are $70 and up assuming you already have one good key. You must have 2 good keys if you want to have any hope of buying more away from a dealer and not getting robbed. Also the dealer does not have the keyless entry code, some will read it for you, for a fee. Lincoln Customer support will not tell anyone but the original owner the code, so either you pay the dealer to find it or you dig out the computer and read it off a sticker. I am pretty sure it is not on the PCM since I looked there and found nothing of use, so I am guessing it is on the inside of the door.

So far so good with my ex rental, but like I said the tranny is suspect and who knows down the line? My guess is that since I am covered under the factory warranty til November 2007 or til 50K, any serious bugs from rental should be worked out. Not much harm you can do to an engine that has a speed limiter on it, but you could hurt the tranny and suspension by driving like an idiot.

I know of one friend who also bought a Hertz rental years back and the tranny blew on that too at about 12k miles and was covered under warranty.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Thanks for the advice and glad to hear somebody else bought prior rental and has had a good experience so far.
I did think about how to get or reset the door code - that's one of the main reasons I am looking for 2003 or 2004 vs. 2002 - I have a Sable now with a keypad and it's a great feature - I just read my owner's manual; there is a way to reset the door code but you have to know the pre-programmed code first.
I didn't think about the number of keys and key fobs though - good thought.
It is $2,000 - $3,000 less or even $6,000 less than other 04 V8 sports that I can see advertised on AutoTrader, Cars.com, AutoExtra, IntelliChoice, etc. or have called dealers about.
It seems that dealers have to mark fleet/rental cars with "daily rental" if they have been part of a fleet or daily rental - the Carfax for this one shows "Registered as rental vehicle (major car rental company)."
I did look at another LS V8 - identical features - AutoCheck showed it as a fleet/rental vehicle - but not specifically as a rental vehicle as this one is. That one was not marked "daily rental" by the LM dealer, and when asked if it could be Certified, the dealer said yes, but we'd have to fill out all the paperwork to buy the car, and after it was "in our names" then he'd get it certified, then Lincoln would have to pay if anything needed fixing rather than the dealer pay. I'm sure the dealer wanted to make sure that we really wanted the car before certifying it, but we just felt somewhat uncertain about the process and decided that finding a vehicle that was already certified might just be better. There seem to be a number of these fleet/rental vehicles turning up now - most in the same color - so somebody must have just renewed their fleet.

I wouldn't buy a rental car. 90% of the people I know who have rented cars have beat on them... My buddy's T/A was in the shop and they gave him a rental with 500 miles on it. The tranny crapped out..... :shifty:

I blew the tranny in my my saturn rental... cost the dealership a nice lil penny.. but hey they shouldnt of had my car for a month and a half...

If it is a Hertz Rental, you might be able to tell by looking for a large 4x4? sticker on the driver and passenger windows. The sticker is an antitheft warning but about 2/3rds into it it mentions Hertz, on the inside view of the sticker. It is also light yellow.

I do like my former rental and do feel I got a good deal, for example a 2002 LS with fewer features and 50K miles cost $27K, my LS had 14K miles and more features.

With the factory warranty I believe I am covered pretty well. As long as the car was maintained, I think the tranny(see the other posts) is the only part that can break way early, and mine has been taken care of under warranty.

BTW, I have rented many cars, and never abused them, but I know some jerks that do.

I was told by Lincoln phone support that the door code could be read by a dealer with the right equipment. My dealer either doesn't have it or didn't want to bother unless he could get some $$ from me later.

By the way, there are some locksmiths around who do have the equipment to make new keys even if you only have one working key. One is in West Covina, do a search of this website for "where is the computer" some where towards the last postings one kind fellow gave me the address etc for the locksmith who can do the job cheaper than the dealer.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Thanks for the input. Thanks, Jim, for letting me know what you paid for your prior rental. I've found another 2004 LS V8 prior rental with 26K mi. First one was certified, this one is not certified, but it's cheaper. Factory warranty would run out in late 2007.
Dealer seemed to think I could take the car to a Lincoln dealer and buy an extended warranty from Lincoln for about $400. ?

I would not buy an rental, here are the reasons.

1. no rental agent wants a car of theirs sitting, That costs them money (cause its not hired out). So you can bet one of three things happened when you have a Rental comming up for sale with low mileage.
Either is was mechanically damaged and was parked for months to get repaired ( and more than once). Or it did nothing except burn gas endlessly sitting in traffic (a possibility in LA area). Or the rental company has been fudging the odometer (which can be done even today with all the OBD and stuff).

2. No one ever takes proper care of a rental, 'cause its not their car. And since just about anyone with some $$ can rent an LS, people do. I know I did when my gt's motor was flood damaged and I was on insurance coverage waiting for them get out and look at it. My coverage allowed it so I rented a nice car (I'm sure that contributed to them rushing out to total the GT). And by the way it was a 2004 ls V6, there were issues with the drive by wire throttle, the parking brake and the trans and the car already had 51,000 miles on it (this was in sept of 2004). So go back and question the odometer reading again.

3. Certified does not guarantee that the car is not going to break down, all it guarantees is that a mechanic poked around with a flashlight under the car and said its alright. I know I sold cars for a while and got my sister in law into a certified used mini van. I pointed out the 128 point certification inspection and showed here the carfax. A week later the transmission had a seal let go and the damn van was in the shop for a week (and of course since it was a family member, I had to be the middle man between the service counter and her).

I rent LS's when I travel and admittedly I drive them like I own it which really means I drive it like it is stolen.

I almost bought a former daily rental from one of the national car rental agency's. in fact I was getting ready to go and purchase the car, but while reading the classifieds I found a brand new one for $800.00 more than the used one I was about to purchase. the used car had 20k on the odometer and had been driven by ???^(eL eS?)^??? :joke
the new one had 7 miles on the clock.

what would you have done?

the car I bought, an '05 LS, I drove off the lot for $24,700.(April of this year) the used one was an '04 LS for $23,900. they were basically the same cars.

it pays to shop around so keep your ears and eyes open. you're always going to find a better deal. it's just a matter of when.

Mike in Dallas
:Beer

JES_LS said:
3. Certified does not guarantee that the car is not going to break down, all it guarantees is that a mechanic poked around with a flashlight under the car and said its alright.

I'm not even sure that it guarantees that -- There were several things wrong with my 'certified' LS that were checked off on the certification list that just didn't go bad in the 2 weeks it sat there, power mirrors, rear seat latches etc.

I also found it interesting that the final signature on the paperwork was dated 3 days prior to the signatures below it, not sure if that is a common practice in the automotive dealership world but in my office I don't sign / date anything that hasn't already been signed by the people listed below my signature.

I found a few new 2004s at a dealer nearby, but they were all V6s, and I think I want a V8, although the V6 Premium is fairly tempting (my husband has fallen for the heated/cooled seats). The dealer is, of course, dealing - saying $10K off sticker - but that would make the V6 Premium about $28K, and the V8 I found that's a former rental with 26K mi, is advertised for $23K. Keeping five grand in my pocket and getting the V8 is very tempting. I don't think I could get a new 2005 V6 Premium/V8 Sport for anything like $23K. Great price you got on the 05, maybe I should shop in Dallas!
I agree, though, that if there's one great deal, there will be another. I'm debating just holding out until September when the 06s start rolling in, and they'll be moving the unsold 05s and maybe discounting 03s or 04s even more. Decisions, decisions. If anybody has any experience getting a great deal on a year-end model, love to hear it.
thanks for weighing in, y'all.

Hetrodyne said:
I almost bought a former daily rental from one of the national car rental agency's. in fact I was getting ready to go and purchase the car, but while reading the classifieds I found a brand new one for $800.00 more than the used one I was about to purchase. the used car had 20k on the odometer and had been driven by ???^(eL eS?)^??? :joke
the new one had 7 miles on the clock.

what would you have done?

the car I bought, an '05 LS, I drove off the lot for $24,700.(April of this year) the used one was an '04 LS for $23,900. they were basically the same cars.

it pays to shop around so keep your ears and eyes open. you're always going to find a better deal. it's just a matter of when.

Mike in Dallas
:Beer

Hahaha. LMAOOL! :Beer

When I wrecked my LS and got a '05 cavalier 4dr rental I was probably the only person who took care of it. I gave it a long bath because it was nasty and than detailed the interior, when I was done it looked new again. Seemed to run a little on the blah side, but its just a cavalier and I'm sure w/ its 20K miles on it, they were hard miles. I have seen and heard some cool, wierd rental car stories and do not think I'd buy one myself unless it was a great deal and a must need.

My Mark VIII was a previous rental. Only issue I ever had with it was the air bag suspension. Wife's Windstar was a rental bought @ Enterprise almost 3 years ago. No issues.

eL eS said:
Hahaha. LMAOOL! :Beer

Rental Cars are the most abused vehicles on earth. I took a towncar the dealor gave me when my LS was in the shop and i was running over islands and launching over speed bumps.

whatsupadrian said:
Rental Cars are the most abused vehicles on earth. I took a towncar the dealor gave me when my LS was in the shop and i was running over islands and launching over speed bumps.

Rental cars are also some of the most well maintained cars out there. The major rental companies arent trying to sell the beaters to the public. Bad for business.

One other thing to think about when buying a rental...Carfax. When you go to sell it, it will show up as an original rental. That may turn many potential buyers away.

As to the Keyless Entry code, have you looked on the trunk hinges? Ford has put them there for YEARS!! I have always found them there. But I haven't looked at an LS before, so I'm not sure with this car. It should be a white strip of paper stuck to the hinge with a 4 numbers on it. That's all it will have. Nothing telling you what those numbers are for.

Members online

No members online now.
Back