putting subs in 02 SLS

dynamite44

LVC Member
Reaction score
hey everyone.
i've got a 2002 SLS. i have a pair of subwoofers, an amplifier, and a box for it. the enclosure from R/T enclosures fits in the trunk very well and the color of the carpet matches. i am going to leave the stock stereo in it (i don't want to spend lots of money for boxes to keep onstar and my door chime) and i'd like to know how i should hook up my high level inputs. i'm tempted to tap into the wires for the factory subwoofer, but chances are those wires will have some sizeable wattage going through them, not suitable for a high level imput. anyone know how much juice goes to the factory subwoofer? would i be better off splicing into the rear speaker leads instead?

here are some pictures of my setup:
subsincaddie3yh.jpg

subsincaddie29qx.jpg

subsincaddie32jn.jpg

the rest of the install should go smoothly, the battery is right there under the back seat. after that, all i'll have to contend with will be the remote wire.

ok heres what you need to do. I have a 97 ETC with Bose (doesnt matter for what im gonna suggest). Go to circuit city and say you need a low level adapter that turns your rear speakers into rcas. They will tell you to hook them up to the rear speakers, but my dad has a 98 sts and you guys dont have any rear speaks just a sub. So connect the left pos and right pos together on the adapter and connect it to the pos side of your stock sub wire. Do the same for the neg. there you go now your have your rcas for the sound.

The rear speakers are in the rear doors.

I was wondering how this has worked out for you? I just bought all the wood for my box and will be building it tomorrow. If the high level - low level adapter worked using the sub wiring, that's exactly what I will do.

Also, what did you use for a turn on lead? I would like to have the amp behave the same way as the head unit - i.e - it'll run with the key off until you open a door.

Kale

Last edited:
djKale said:
The rear speakers are in the rear doors.

I was wondering how this has worked out for you? I just bought all the wood for my box and will be building it tomorrow. If the high level - low level adapter worked using the sub wiring, that's exactly what I will do.

Also, what did you use for a turn on lead? I would like to have the amp behave the same way as the head unit - i.e - it'll run with the key off until you open a door.

Kale

i've been focusing on my other cars at the moment, i just use this as a daily driver. it looks sweet just sitting there, but it'd be even better if i could get it working. the line output converter is avaliable at circuit city, but the one near me is out of them at the current time. i'll update this thread when i get it done.
as far as a remote wire to power the amplifier, i have no idea what i'm going to do about that. i checked the front cigarette lighter, and that has juice going to it even when the key isn't in it, so i can't use that as a power source to kick on the amp. i'll keep looking, but i want to avoid splicing into the ignition bundle at all costs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back