put car in gear, no movement at all

ESP J

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
05 V6
180k miles

ok so this happened one other time before but fixed itself after i restarted the car, now a few weeks or even month later it does it again, but this time i got it on video, restarted the car 3 times and it never moved,

felt like when you have the Ebrake on and your trying to move,

[video=youtube;PQsv83Mkd3Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsv83Mkd3Q[/video]

now that i see revving probably wasn't the best idea and pretty sure ill get some negatives about that :(

My old 2000 did that, but I was able to drive it using d1 thru d4. Lost reverse too. And it would slip out of gear when rpms went passed a certain point in 4th. I ended up replacing my trans on mine. Some spring was broken that caused my issue.

Have you taken it anywhere or called around yet for a diag?

when it did it the first time i did take it to one of the 2 shops that specialize in transmissions , and he hooked it up but said he didnt get a reading at all, and since he couldnt redo what had happened he couldn't tell me anything

the other shop said he senced something but would have to open it up to see what was wrong , to me opening up a tranny is nothing but dollar signs, which i cannot afford at the moment

another thing i had noticed during the time i kept driving it and even my stepfather mentioned was that the car would rumble while going frmo 40-55 , pretty noticeable when the the radio was off, not as loud as a motorcycle but more like if i had a ricer instead of a Luxury car

felt like when you have the Ebrake on and your trying to move, (

so wait, are you saying that it feels like it wants to go but something is holding it back like the brakes are on??? because this may not be a problem with the trans at all, maybe a caliper or two are frozen up, when you rev it, does the rear squat down a bit like its loading the suspension up. or is just free revving exactly like the transmission was just in N?

its squats down like it wants to move, when i press on the gas it squts even further like it wants to put something is holding it back

same in reverse it does the usual jerk(not bad just normal) but it doesnt move

its been raining heavy the last few days and i park close to a curb , you think that has anything to do with it?

then that doesn't seem like a transmission issue to me, it there was no power coming out of the transmission, then it couldn't squat down, i doubt that the curb has much to do with it unless you slammed into it and you are some how caught on it. I would first check to make sure that your brakes are working and releasing, then i would start checking into whats actually locked up.

Yep. Chock the front wheels and jack up one rear wheel at a time. Make sure you can spin them by hand with the parking brake off and the transmission in neutral.

same thing happen to me when i was on vacation i didn't move my car for 2 weeks and rain everyday and them when i started put it on reverse same happen its squats down like it wants to move but nothing until i accelerated more and more until it moves i heard a big sound like it was really stock them i saw my brake disc and i was able to see how the brake pad was mark on it like a tattoo.

ok so a little update , cause im still confused

so i went outside and figured if the caliber was stuck that the car wouldnt move in neutral , i put the car in neutral and push it , and well the damn thing moves,

so i played with the gears went to D1 and the car started moving like normal
D2 ok
D3 ok
D4 not ok
D5 not ok
Reverse not ok

by not ok i mean it still moved but again felt like it was beign held back , still moves but not like it should , so i put it back in D1 and nope the problem repeated itself ,

now im even more confused

any input

ok so a little update , cause im still confused

so i went outside and figured if the caliber was stuck that the car wouldnt move in neutral , i put the car in neutral and push it , and well the damn thing moves,

so i played with the gears went to D1 and the car started moving like normal
D2 ok
D3 ok
D4 not ok
D5 not ok
Reverse not ok

by not ok i mean it still moved but again felt like it was beign held back , still moves but not like it should , so i put it back in D1 and nope the problem repeated itself ,

now im even more confused

any input

Just to verify, there is no D1, D2 or D3. It is just 1st, 2nd and 3rd. At this point I would suspect the actual shifter as the transmission reacts normally in "P", "N", 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I had a bad shifter in the '00 while it was still under warranty. It had a burned-out diode and wouldn't access D4. All other selections worked fine.

Then again, as my wife likes to point out, I could (probably) be wrong......

If I remember correctly, you've posted about a similar condition with your vehicle. I believe people gave you advice to troubleshoot your transmission (check fluid level), reset battery, etc. Seems like now you definitely have a faulty transmission.

If I remember correctly, you've posted about a similar condition with your vehicle. I believe people gave you advice to troubleshoot your transmission (check fluid level), reset battery, etc. Seems like now you definitely have a faulty transmission.

touché

With the symptoms you described before you really shouldn't have continued driving the car... I'm not sure if it's too late or not, are you receiving any transmission errors/codes? I would recommend troubleshooting the transmission ASAP.

alright so took it to shop and no codes came up whatsoever, he said tomorrow hes gonna pull the pan and check it

if the problem is inside your transmission, the car should definitely not be squatting down when you rev it.

sound like you have more than one problem...

sad-broken-heart-l.jpg

sad-broken-heart-l.jpg

Checked on the net, suspect you have a direct clutch failure. This guy who has a patent pending valve fix also kindly included a chart that shows what parts are engaged for each gear, and the direct clutch is the only one that affects all your affected gears, and doesn't affect the other gears. Of course, this is a guess based off a net search and your symptoms. I'm not a trans mechanic or anything. If this is the case, you're up for a rebuild. If you wanted to take a whack at it yourself the rebuild kit is 225 bucks at Rock Auto, but a trans rebuild requires plenty of specialized tools to do the job.

ok so today was told that when they dropped the pan their wasnt that much metal in it to actually be causing a problem....so their gonna drop the tran down and see whats going on internally, he said since everything checks out on the computer he thinks it may be a clutch, ill find out next week for sure after the 3 day weekend *sigh*

for now this is my ride

a little penny racer lol
1997_geo_tracker_2_dr_std_4wd_convertible-pic-30401.jpg

1997_geo_tracker_2_dr_std_4wd_convertible-pic-30401.jpg

not yet they checked the pan on friday , and he said not much metal in it, gave em the green light and they should start tomorrow since the 3 day weekend , so hopefully tomorrow i get to find out what happened, ill keep an update since i see 2 other people have made a thread similar

]This guy who has a patent pending valve fix also kindly included a chart that shows what parts are engaged for each gear]

Ahhh, suspicions confirmed. 1-2 is a non-synchronous shift (you don't apply/shift a sprag). 2-3 and 3-4 are synchronous (two actions to make each shift, releasing one band/clutch while applying another). 4-5 is non-synchronous (merely just applying the OD band). Too bad they couldn't have made the 2-3 shift non-synchronous as well. That really would have made the transmission feel much better I think. Probably would have required the intermediate sprag that allowed the 5r55n to remain fully non-synchronous though.

I think the same thing just happened to my car last night... I unfortunately was not in the car when happened but my brother needed to borrow my car to go to the store... and these were his exact words...I put the car and drive which was D5 and it felt like the e-brake was on. like the brakes were stopping the car from being moved it had zero power and the engine would not rev any higher than 2000rmps. so was able to put it into the slapstick and move the car that way but it wouldn't go any faster than 25mph unless going down hill. (assuming he knows how to work the slap stick.) So now I am back in the car. this morning when I got up to go to work I hopped in the car start the car right up, put in reverse back down the driveway drove to work gave it somesome hard acceleration and everything seems to work better than before this issue... I did have some weird transmission issues before this but I don't know if they were really transmission issues. (thinking it could have been a bad COP because I have yet to do a tuneup on it) since I bought the car so I just eliminated that it wasn't a transmission issue that it could just be a COP going out. After letting it sit overnight and then wake up the next morning Id start the car and back out of my driveway, my street which is less than a quarter of a mile at the end of the road my foot on the brake (coming to a stop) RPM's it seem like they would be a little bit higher and my car would lurch forward just a little bit (enough for me to press harder on brakes so I wouldn't enter intersection ) then it would be okay and wouldn't do it again. Weird can't explain it any other way. I just figured that was how the car is. Anyhow I have no lights or codes. Its 05 v8.

I may have 2 separate problems. HELP!!!

well on way home... it happened. ETC FAIL SAFE MODE! WTH is this crap?

Members online

No members online now.
Back