Pushing the D'Elegance

MasterMarkViii

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a few questions about this car. Any info would be great. The car is a 1992 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance

First id like to ask, do these cars have any known problems with the transmission? The car was owned by my grandfather that passed away a few years ago. He was in the NHRA in magazines , the whole nine. He was a big guy so riding in the 1-ton pulling the trailer (with his 9 second 59 elcamino on it) was no longer an option. He decided to make his cadillac pull it. So, he got a hitch (dont know if any transmission mods were done) and the air bags in the rear were destroyed, so air shocks were installed (with the schrader valve in the back). So the car pulled another 4000lb car on a trailer 60 miles each way for some time. But even long after he died the car ran good (no more trailer use) every once in a while we have to put some air in the shocks. Just recently, after 200k + miles on her she started to slip in gear, then eventually slip until you cant move. But right after you can turn it off, wait 5 seconds restart and it will go in gear and drive normal for 50+ miles. So after that we did a transmission fluid flush with new filter. The car drove perfectly fine for about 500 miles untill it decided to lock itself in first gear. Now the car is stuck in first and we decided to the condemn the transmission. If I replace it with another one, can i just use the same year (5.7 L chevy ) transmission ? Should I use a better year? How much horsepower can they hold?

Another thing I want to know is how much nitrous can I run on it safely? Do I need a computer tune/ chip first? Stock fuel pump strong enough for a wet shot?

Again, Thanks in advance for any information

Members online

No members online now.
Back