Purchasing a 2002 Cadillac STS Seville

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone
Purchasing a 2002 Cadillac STS Seville tomorrow....wanting to know what the most problematic issues this car may have ...as of now I know it's hesitating on acceleration... Any thoughts what might be going on ..this is my first Cadillac ...My other car is a Lincoln LS ...yes kinda polar opposites

Well, around '03 the Northstars where getting very stout. An '02 I would have it checked out. Check the cooling system, make sure Dexcool was used. Look for any signs of excessive heating on the temp gauge. Make sure car is not using any coolant. See if the oil doesn't smell like coolant. Make sure you get all the records on the car. Do the heater hoses look good? or are they cracked? Have the head gaskets been replaced? Has the correct long bolts and additional threads "new head bolts been replaced"? Ask if the whole cooling system has been over hauled.

Air ride suspension is another common problem. Check to see if it has new bags or replaced with coil overs.

As far as hesitation, could be a dirty MAF or MAF sensor, throttle position sensor, or dirty throttle body. Check the O2 sensors as well.

If the car is clean with decent mileage and was not abused or has any rust on it. Then I'd go for it.

We had a '97 Eldorado in the family. We had the whole engine rebuilt at the Cadillac dealer. Mileage at the time was 88K. After rebuilt that car ran very well, drove it til 151K when it got traded in. I know what things to look for, to give you an idea.

Good Luck with your purchase and make sure to post pics and even start a thread on your new car.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, around '03 the Northstars where getting very stout. An '02 I would have it checked out. Check the cooling system, make sure Dexcool was used. Look for any signs of excessive heating on the temp gauge. Make sure car is not using any coolant. See if the oil doesn't smell like coolant. Make sure you get all the records on the car. Do the heater hoses look good? or are they cracked? Have the head gaskets been replaced? Has the correct long bolts and additional threads "new head bolts been replaced"? Ask if the whole cooling system has been over hauled.

Air ride suspension is another common problem. Check to see if it has new bags or replaced with coil overs.

As far as hesitation, could be a dirty MAF or MAF sensor, throttle position sensor, or dirty throttle body. Check the O2 sensors as well.

If the car is clean with decent mileage and was not abused or has any rust on it. Then I'd go for it.

We had a '97 Eldorado in the family. We had the whole engine rebuilt at the Cadillac dealer. Mileage at the time was 88K. After rebuilt that car ran very well, drove it til 151K when it got traded in. I know what things to look for, to give you an idea.

Good Luck with your purchase and make sure to post pics and even start a thread on your new car.
Thanks much appreciated ...I'm putting the 2001 Lincoln LS on Jack Stands for a few months to rebuild transmission so need a point A to B car and I'm buying this for $400 to GT me to and from work for the next few months ...I'll need your experience and knowledge to figure out the hesitation ...the guy I'm buying it from is getting me codes tomorrow but he said he had them read about 6 months ago and then the caddy sat until just today when he took it to O'Riellys ..the car sat all winter ...garaged at least but he claims the battery was dead and the check engine light was off and didn't come back on until he was home so he is getting me codes tomorrow he thinks it's a misfire code ...I'll find out tomorrow

View attachment 828569501 View attachment 828569500 View attachment 828569499 View attachment 828569498
Thanks much appreciated ...I'm putting the 2001 Lincoln LS on Jack Stands for a few months to rebuild transmission so need a point A to B car and I'm buying this for $400 to GT me to and from work for the next few months ...I'll need your experience and knowledge to figure out the hesitation ...the guy I'm buying it from is getting me codes tomorrow but he said he had them read about 6 months ago and then the caddy sat until just today when he took it to O'Riellys ..the car sat all winter ...garaged at least but he claims the battery was dead and the check engine light was off and didn't come back on until he was home so he is getting me codes tomorrow he thinks it's a misfire code ...I'll find out tomorrow

Good deal man, I'll try my best to help. All best on the LS.

Members online

No members online now.
Back