Purchase of a 1997 Mark VIII LSC listed in Craigslist - Need Opinions Please!

MN12hybrid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have not been on here for a while, since I sold my 94 Mark VIII back in 2015 after I picked up a 2009 Lexus SC430.. Long story short, my Mark needed too many things to be done and had over 330k miles, with a previous owner that did not take care of it very well, despite the air suspension working perfectly of all things.. go figure! 7 months after buying the SC430 (silver) some idiot hit me head on and totaled it just 2 months after I paid it offView attachment 828574977 View attachment 828574978 , and even though it was a salvage title and was a total loss in the past that was properly fixed, it held up well in the accident even with the roof down, and the airbags worked flawlessly.

I picked up a 2006 SC430 in the much desired and harder to find blue color (2006-2010 are the newer models with 6 speed auto and other goodies the earlier ones did not have and are worth a lot more) from CL, which came from an owner who was a professor at UCLA who loved the car and did all the work at the dealer, and looking at the history, the guy was taken advantage of by Beverly Hills Lexus and I felt bad for him, but he passed away just a few months after dropping 13k into it for things with about half of what was not even needed, so I knew I had to jump on the car and bought it with around 55k miles, and I still have the car and love it, and have done many mods to it. i actually bought it from his son.. I still have the old 2009 car and the engine is on the stand and I am working on building up the 4.3 V8 since 300hp is not enough and the tune it has with the laggy electronic throttle hampers it - the car is far more capable than the 5.6 second 0-60 time.

The reason I am posting this, is that I miss my old Mark, even though it was falling apart at over 330k miles and sold it to Carlos (if I remember correctly) who picked it up and brought it back to Palmdale to use the drivetrain for another project... I also have a 2016 BMW 328I 2.0 turbo (8 speed ZF trans) with X drive which is cool, but at not even 80k miles it has stupid things I have to constantly chase after mechanically although in fairness, its been holding up well, but I know by the time I get to 100k and up its going to turn into a money pit. Its also pretty quick and getting a tune on it which should drop the 0-60 from 5.3 to just under 5 seconds.

I found an Mark VIII LSC 1997 model on CL, for $3500 FIRM and the neon actually works - I know this was fixed. The license plate reads BADMK8 - I could swear I have seen this car in the past on one of the Lincoln boards, and the fact the neon was obviously fixed and working fine. If someone bothers to fix the neon, that tells me that they are on top of any other repairs that had to be done. The guy is in no hurry to sell, and actually borderline not very responsive to my questions I have sent him, which I wanted answered before driving 80 miles to look at the car. This at least gives me the message he is not in a rush to sell it, which is a good indication its not crap - someone selling a car with issues will do anything they can to get rid of it ASAP normally. It looks from the pics to be in great condition for the most part with paint though I would likely need to sand down the headlights and clear coat them and likely install an HID retrofit kit so I am not stuck with the Ford HIDS that cost like $600 if I could even find them. It has some dings on the rear bumper that are identical to my Lexus. Interior looks not bad but there could be other stuff like cracked dash, or ripped seats - I can see the cup holder is broken and leather is faded but a $35 kit will help re-dye these faded bits and make them look new - it has wheels, with intake and exhaust mods but they did not elaborate on it. The engine looks very clean in the pics at 106k and I think its on air bags still which doesnt bother me - I actually prefer to keep it on bags, and will rebuild the entire suspension with new bags, and all new aftermarket bushiness and quality suspension components with 13" Cobra calipers and brembo rotors with stainless steel braided lines. The trans is J-modded as well, and he states that everything in the car functions perfectly and has all fresh fluids and zero leaks.
I have a LOT of MN12 Thunderbird and Mark parts left over in my storage, along with a custom box with kicker 12" subs, and an amp rack with custom cooling fans - essentially a very powerful stereo system that was a perfect fix in my 1992 Tbird LX years ago, and its appealing to be able to use this in the mark if I buy it. The damn stereo has been sitting in storage for almost 13 years, and I spent a shit load of money on it and it would be nice to use again! Please look at the link below and tell me what you guys think based off the ad and the pics? I cant tell the rims, but they almost look like torque thrusts and likely have new tires.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bar/d/san-clemente-1997-lincoln-mark-viii/7215069777.html

To top this off, I have a 99 Honda Accord with only 58k miles on it family owned but had a defective slipping trans from day one after it was bought, and Honda would not help and fix it. By 30k miles, the damn car (auto trans) was rolling backwards with my foot on gas and winding it up to 4k RPM's, at only 33k miles. Turns out this model of the Accord has defective auto transmissions especially with the V6 even though I had the I4 VTEC model (better 4 cyl offering) - this trans was used in Acuras, and the Honda Accords to 2004, and their Odyssey mini vans. Honda finally got sued over this, and they were forced to recall most of the models I mentioned including the 6 cyl Accord, but my 4 cyl Accord was not covered so I picked up the Honda upgrade kit for the trans rebuild and had it rebuilt and actually was beefed up by a VERY reputable shop. The car finally drove normal for the first time ever with no slipping and has no further problems and can likely make it to beyond 300-350k miles easily as it stands now, though it needs other maintenance.. My goal is to sell this Honda Accord EX with all the bells and whistles (leather, moon roof) if I get this Mark VIII LSC. I will have to clean the honda since its filthy and put new tires on it, and fix the HVAC dash control model.. Its still on the original timing belt, and needs to be replaced with all hoses, radiator, fluids all need to be flushed and changed out.. etc. I am seeing this going for almost $3000 with 170-230k miles on them, so I think mine will sell easily if its cleaned up and I can more than make the money back and have another Mark VIII which I absolutely adore, and end up with an LSC this time!

Sorry for the long post... but is this Mark VIII worth looking into? I have found other Marks with less miles, but this one has definitely had work done to it, and with the working neon, it tells me that the owner cared enough to fix it which means they also took very good care of the rest of the car. I would like to use the comfortable Mark as a daily driver, while playing around with the engine and making it a lot more powerful and fun to drive, which should be actually easier to do than with my SC430 with the 4.3 V8 which I drive less than 1000 miles a year for a pleasure care for top-down fun and occasional trips as i try to avoid daily driving it - the rods and pistons need to be replaced in the 4.3 for forged and other things need to be done in order to get it over 400hp with offerings from the Supra store, where the Mark can hit this easily, and as mentioned I have a lot of extra parts for this car!

Thank you all in advance for reading this long post, and giving me much needed input!! :)

lincon interior.jpg

lincoln interir 2.jpg

InTec Engine 97 Mark 8 LSC.jpg

Mark VIII Rear.jpg

lincoln side shot.jpg

Last edited:
I could not resist... Instead of getting another Mark VIII, I ended up giving in an getting a Lexus instead that I have been having a lot of fun with modifiying, but I sure do miss having a Mark VIII... I may go out to the look at the Mark for sale in the next few days, so any input is greatly appreciated! I will be using the Mark and the BMW as a daily driver to work 50/50 but will be constantly working on the Mark just I do on my Lexus to get modded as I like...

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

That Mark VIII is very clean. I'd go for it too.

The car looks really familiar....I too think its an LVC member's car.

Nice Lexus SC by the way.

Thank you - I love my SC but I really miss my old Mark, and would love to have another one! I am 6'4" and I had to learn through time to get in and out of the Lexus carefully (after cracking my head hard over and over) but surprisingly once inside and the seat is back all the way, it has enough room for my long legs and is ultra comfy. The Mark on the other hand will be something I can drive more often to lay off the BMW for obvious reasons, and save the Lexus for "roof-down" weather.

Its weird... this ad has been up for a couple months, and I emailed the guy with standard questions regarding air suspension, and how the HVAC is working in case blend door motor is bad along with a few other odds and ends, and then asked him if he was on any of the Lincoln clubs.. no response... I figured he probably just does not like typing, so I asked him to call me but to message me first or else I will not recognize the number and will avoid it since I get scam calls all day long. I never heard from the person. I checked my email I sent and it was at the beginning of November.

I messaged him again today asking if he still has it for sale, and he got right back to me stating its still available. In the pics of the car, you can see the registration expired in April, but I looked up the car based on the license plate and it looks good - no salvage or anything crazy. Shows a title issued in 2002 at 85k miles, and a title issued in June of 2020 without mentioning the mileage. I emailed the person again and asked if he has the title in hand and if the car was fully transferred to him and in his name, and then asked about the tags. If he had fully transferred the car to himself, I would think that he would have gotten tags. It does mention in the CL listing the car passed smog easily. I am not getting any bad feelings about the car itself, but it seems that he is a bit tight-lipped about it, and its not easy to sell a car (or anything for that matter) using that tactic in my eyes.

I found another Mark VIII non-LSC a couple weeks ago with 81k miles for $2750 and I wish I scooped it up - it sold very fast! I really prefer a Gen 2 LSC model this time around however.

Here is another non LSC model - 89k miles and all stock and it looks to be in great condition, but the ABS light is on and you can see the message about traction control on the info screen.. there could be a few causes for that off the top of my head, but some of them could be involving and pricey, and it could be a point to talk the price down from $5500.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/murrieta-97-lincoln-mark-viii/7237931463.html

The guy got back to me late last night to confirm that the registration on the LSC is current and in his name, and "everything is legit."

I emailed him back to ask him if he has the tags. I am hoping he has the front plate, and especially the front license plate frame. I asked him about that as well.. I have been looking around, and have not been able to find one. I found a Ford parts supplier and they are all discontinued, and I can only source them for 93-97 Gen 1's.

Wow... this seller is either crazy, a bitter old man, or a cocky young dude...
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bar/d/san-clemente-1997-lincoln-mark-viii/7215069777.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the email I sent last night

Perfect.. I am assuming you have the tags then? I’m asking because I see the 2020 tags on the rear plate in the pic.

Also - do you have the front plate and the frame for it by any chance?

I hate to pepper you with questions, but it’s going to be easily a 90 minute plus drive, and want to confirm these things first so I don’t have to waste your time.

The process will go a lot faster if I am able to see the car when it’s cold and has not been used for the day. I want to be able to look around under the hood, check the coolant reservoir and crossover pipe and under the car, air suspension, etc.

If the car is everything you mentioned in the ad with everything working including AC and the heater, then I will very likely buy it on the spot after confirming with an inspection and a test drive. I have the money in hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this is the email he sent me this morning...

I’ll keep it simple it’s my daily driver & it’s a reliable car. My description in ad is accurate where it clearly states the suspension was converted to coil overs. Had you took the time to read & comprehend the ad most of your questions were already answered.
TYVM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the link to his ad..

NOWHERE on the add does it state he converted to coils.. I asked him about the "upgrades" a month ago and no answer. What are the other "minor" upgrades? I see the wheels, although its not a good pic.. the engine bay has the stock airbox, so I guess maybe he has a K&N panel filter, and for the exhaust.. what has he done? Are their flowmasters behind the stock tips? When I consider an exhaust upgrade, I think of my Lexus with the custom exhaust with flowmasters and custom all the way to cats, its very loud. Is it me, or is this guy being a little too vague? He still has NOT responded back to me about the AC.. I was asking because of the blend door motor condition, etc... its funny he is jabbing me for reading comprehension, but he cannot answer my questions. My Last 94 Mark, the guy lied through his teeth in his CL ad and said everything worked, and the car was in very rough condition. I remember test driving it with the seller in the passenger seat and testing out the AC and the guys face turned red with embarrassment because I caught him in a lie.

I responded back to him to let him know I have no problems with comprehension, especially considering what I do for a living. And quite the contrary, I had asked simple questions over the past month he could have easily responded to but he did not. In his nasty message to me, he STILL did not mention why the tags ARE NOT on the car, even though he daily drives it, and he never answered my question about the front plate. I think he got offended when I stated to him in my email that the process will go a lot faster if I am able to see the car when it’s cold and has not been used for the day. I want to be able to look around under the hood, check the coolant reservoir and crossover pipe and under the car, air suspension, etc.

If the car is everything you mentioned in the ad with everything working including AC and the heater, then I will very likely buy it on the spot after confirming with an inspection and a test drive. I have the money in hand.

I am certain this car came from LVC, or one of the other clubs, and its very likely special. Its converted to coils, which means the rest of the suspension should be in decent shape. I am beginning to think there is "other" work done to the car likely under the hood that this person does not even know about, and its clear the seller is not in any of the clubs - he likely bought it from a former club member. There is no way they would be acting like this if they were on any of these clubs.

I am a little irate and almost want to tell him to shove the car up his ass, and have fun trying to sell it during the pandemic when most people dont have the money.. But I am hoping to get your opinions first before I do anything.. I know this is CL and anything can go here, but this seller (even if he is being honest) takes the cake..

Should I bite it, and respond nicely and go see the car? Or should I pass and hope I can come across another LSC in the future?

I'm not you, but his bad attitude would be enough for me to pass on it.

I'm with joegr on this situation. You don't need to deal with people like that. You know what you want and what your looking for. Another Mark will come up soon. The clean ones are out there.

When people act like that dude, they are probably trying to hide something or just miserable. I've dealt with this before too. On to the next nearly mint Mark VIII.

Good Luck with your search and I'll post nice kept Mark VIII's for sale in this post for you.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!

I just found this one on eBay in Sacramento, but Ill be more than happy to drive the 350 miles to pick it up

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC | eBay

Wow.. this one is beautiful with the heated seats, moonroof, and its silver and its barely over 60k miles! Its more than I wanted to spend, but he does have the make offer option setup on the auction. I wonder if he would be willing to take 5k. If not, I hope he does not get offended! lol

Look at it from his side too
There are a lot of tire kickers that promise the world just to never show up.
I would ask to see the car cold and make the drive.

I agree with you about the tire kickers, and the flakey people.. unfortunately its part of the game with selling a car. Either way, I am tempted to tell the other guy with the black LSC above to shove his mark up his ass for talking down to me like I am an idiot. I would have driven over, and not even haggled and he would have had an extra $3500 in his pocket. On the other hand, maybe ill just leave him be and let the guys attitude attract his own negativity.

I just made a deal with the eBay seller for the 98 Mark VIII LSC on the link above with a little over 60k miles on it, and sent the deposit. I tried to buy it last night but someone got to it before me and was sending a deposit, but the person backed out and never sent it. I was very happy to hear the news this morning. I will likely drive up tomorrow to get the car. It was elderly owned so some scuffs, dings, etc.. it needs the blend door motor/arm to be fixed, but the AC and heat work fine otherwise. Its on air as well just like I want and the rear neon apparently works as well.. original air bags, but the upper ball joint boots are ripped, and I am assuming the lowers need to be done as well - sway bar end boots look the same. I am going to change all that out, and pick up some Ford bushings for the strut rods, new tie rods, and performance bushings from supercoupe performance. The interior looks awesome with functional heated seats, and moon roof. There is a small cigarette burn in the carpet somewhere from years ago, but the car does not smell like smoke. The person who is selling the car, sells vintage car parts on ebay and the car was passed on to him by an elderly couple who treasured the car but they cannot drive anymore.

Sometimes, things just work a certain way for a reason.. its a little more than I wanted to spend, but I would rather spend $5k for something that has everything I have wanted in a Mark for a long time, than to compromise and spend $3500 on a car that would have been good as well but not as good as this one, and the seller has a pine cone up his ass.. not sure how the other guy thinks he will sell the black LSC during a pandemic when people can are lined up for food, and can barely pay rent, when he has an attitude like that. On top of the fact this car only has 63k miles on it... this would be perfect to J mod, play with the rear end gears, and maybe even install a blower at a later point since these engines can easily handle it.

I am going to post some pics... this will be an AWESOME daily driver! I can continue to use the Lexus for the weekends - its a big target and attracts too much attention and being so loud does not help, and then the I can lay off the BMW as well since its going to need some major servicing coming up since it just hit 80k. Ill clean up my Honda with 59k and will sell it to make money back from what I spent on the Mark... I wont get too excited until I am driving the Mark back home from Sacramento! lol

I just noticed.. its that a trans cooler that is mounted under the car, or is that for oil? I had a Gen 1 last time and dont remember it having this.

I just noticed.. its that a trans cooler that is mounted under the car, or is that for oil? I had a Gen 1 last time and dont remember it having this.

I'd guess (and I have to guess here) that is a power steering cooler. It looks too small for a transmission cooler to me, but I could be wrong.
I think it was sometime in the late 90s that Ford finally figured out that the transmissions would last longer if they were better cooled.

Awesome and congratulations on a very nice car
And its a power steering cooler
The transmission cooler is integrated with the radiator

Thanks guys!

I drove up yesterday, and picked up the Mark... Its beautiful, and looks nice. The previous owners used household products to clean the car, and created swirls, scratches, and they were in their 90's and had to stop driving so there are bumps and dings, but its stuff I can iron out. The important part was that they cherished the car, and it was VERY well taken care of. The engine is immaculate, clean... no leaks at all. Few issues with the car like upper ball joints being toast.. the bottom ones were not bad thankfully, or else I would not have driven the car back home! The neon on the back is beautiful and light up bright.. driving down I-5 headed to Los Angeles, its DARK out there, and the glow of the neon lit up the road behind me, and I was actually impressed with the stock HID's the car has - they work very well!

I am going to make a new post since this old one is toast at this point.. the car is in my hands and awesome, and I need to work out some kinks and know you guys will be able to push me the right direction if needed. I am going to use this as my daily driver but will be playing with a few things on the car. I guess some things work a certain way for a reason - only 1500 more for this car which came from a nice seller compared to the other guy on CL who was aggro about answering basic questions about his LSC and it had almost 50k miles more at 3500.

oh no.. I got a very nice one thankfully though I have some issues to work out I am going to make a new post for them!

Members online

No members online now.
Back