pully rattle?

apacheagate

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a rattle that seams to be getting worse... seams like it may be a pully but I have torn into it and cant seam to find anything lose.. I would love any suggestions. .. its a 02 ls with the 3.9

Could be a whole lot of things based on that description.

The tensioner pully does tend to wear and cause some odd noises. Watch it and see if it's wobbling around while the engine is running. You can also put a mechanic stethoscope on it to try to pinpoint the noise.

I had one rattle that was actually the compressor going out.

Ok thanks. It's almost like a jingle.. im just wondering if there are a few "common" things that people have found. I got my ls about three months ago and love it. It has 946xx miles on it and seams like its brand new.

Failing timing chain tensioners will cause a rattling noise (usually worse at cold startup) at the fronts of the valve covers.
You can get a slight grinding noise from the AC clutch while the clutch is off if it is adjusted wrong.
Any bad spots on the belt?

BTW, you'll have better luck searching if you spell it correctly. - Pulley

Haha yeah thanks. The belt looks brand new...
The noise seams to be worse now that its cold out.. I will check into the timing chain tensioner. Will it all of a sudden fail?

I have something similar to what you're describing. It sometimes makes the sound you hear when you are on a roller coaster and stay climbing the hill for the big drop, except faster. Let us know what you find out.

... Will it all of a sudden fail?

It can, but if that's were the rattle is coming from, you've had fair warning. If the chain jumps one tooth at low speed, there will probably be no damage. Alternately, it can and at times does do enough damage that engine replacement is the most practical repair.

Turns out it was the ac compressor clutch.

Thanks for the update.
The clutch can be adjusted on the car (not easy, but possible). Basically, a shim washer needs to be added, if the noise is when the clutch is off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back