Proud Owner of New (to me) '94 Sedan DeVille with an Oil Drip.

Big Dan

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I posted here years back when I had my Town Car. I've recently gotten my mitts on a '94 Sedan DeVille. I've always loved this style of Cadillac. I remember being a kid when a family friend had bought a brand new '97 Sedan DeVille and I said one day I'm going to have a car like that. Well this is close enough. :D

The car had 182k on it when I bought I'm up to 184k in a couple of weeks. Besides the gas bill I'm very happy with it. The previous owner must have garage kept it. Everything looks like new even the floor mats. Leather seats have very little cracking which is an odd find in a 20 year old car. Under the engine looks brand new just a little dust.

I bought it off a local scrap yard and shop where I'd been bringing my car for servicing. I paid $1200 plus my old car as scrap. All in all a great deal in my book. The only trouble I have with it is there's an oil leak. I wouldn't really call it a leak more of a drip. I took it back to where I bought it. He thought it was the oil filter gasket which he replaced. He said he tightened things up and to bring it back if I had any more trouble. Needless to say I need to go back as I still have the same leak.

Is there a common leak point in these engines? It's has the 4.9 engine - Not a Northstar. From my prospective, if you're standing in front of the car the leak it appears to be coming from a bit behind engine center towards the passenger side.

I'm far from a mechanic but since the car is otherwise in great shape I'd like to fix the leak if it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg in labor. If it's going to be 4-500 in labor just to get to whatever's leaking I'll keep dumping oil in it.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Members online

Back