Proud Owner of a 1984 CoupeDeVille

MangoMan

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm new to these forums, and I've been poking arround on the site, and youve got some great stuff here. Anyhoo, I just aquired my second Cadalac about a month ago. I'm the proud owner of a 1984 Caddie Coupe DeVille, with only 39,000 Orignal miles on it! I work for a car dealer called CarMax- some of you might have heard of em- and recently, and elderly lady sold us her late husbands caddie. CarMax gave her the whloesale value for it- $500 dollars. And I ran back there and bought it. For $800. Anyway, its awsome, and I'm very proud of it, and I'm glad to be a memeber of the coumminty here.
So, here are some pics of it. Tell me what you think.

CIMG0332.jpg

MyNewCaddie-8.jpg

CIMG0330.jpg

CIMG0329.jpg

CIMG0328.jpg

Please, tell me what you think of the car, and any suggestions on it would be welcome. I know its an old car, but did these have any major problems that I should gear up for?

THanks all, and I look foward to my membership here!

That's sweeeet! I'll give you $1000 for it. Seriously though, does it have the 4.1 engine or the 6.0? If its the 4.1 you may have some valvetrain problems in the future. The 6.0 is pretty bulletproof unless it has the V8-6-4 system which didn't work very well but can be disconnected so it runs on 8 all the time. All in all a very nice car .

Some of those engines had a problem with the rocker arm pivots breaking and causing a loud ticking noise and misfire. It can be bad if you don't catch it right away. Keep the oil changed regularly and it shouldn't be a problem.

Alright you've got the 4.1:

Flush your coolant immediately!

If you dont take very good care of the coolant in the 4.1, it tends to overheat very easily and thats the end of that motor.

Basically, here's the main problem with the 4.1:
The main problems with the HT4100 is waterpump failure causing over heats which would warp the heads/block surface, and then the engine needs to be junked. Add to that a really crappy cam in the 1st gen (literally get worn down) and problems with head gaskets.... not to mention literally no power... and it was just a failure.

And...

the most notoriuous issue with the 4.1 liter was not only the water pump, but the intake manifold gaskets, in which I've had one fail on my old '87. The reason behind this was that the engine design and the materials used and the gaskets used didn't quite agree with eachother from day one. When the 4.5 liter came out, more stringent torquing requirements were applied to help fix that problem.

Once the intake gasket blew or just developed a leak, water would then penetrate into the oil galleries and get in between the cam lobes and the lifters, soon wiping out the cams on the cars (which were weak in the first place). The 4.5 lilter engines improved this issue via the new torquing requirements and introduced the roller cam into the 4.x engine family.

Shes a beaut! If it was mine, I would get the Cadillac wire hubcaps that were available that year, it'll look much better!

Gorgeous car! Nice and understated! Love it!

One extra note on the coolant replacement (which I agree should be done immediately) grab the GM coolant pellets available at any auto parts store. An acceptable substitute is the Bars Leak product which is in powder form.

If you use the pellets, use between 4 and 6 in the new coolant. Use two full tubes of the Bars Leak if you decide to go that route. It will help stop any minor leaks or seepage in its tracks.

Need Parts

My husband & I are also proud owners of a 1984 Coupe DeVille. We are trying to find a parts dealer for that year. Do you know of a place to find a chrome package for the whole exterior? He's also looking for moldings.

if you ever need parts for that car i have everything you need to rebuild that car engines trans body interior frames all of it samething goes for anyone else out there i have 24 cadis from 70 to 90 s so if anyone need stuff send me a email devilles sevilles coupsdevilles fleetwoods,

I've got the same exact car only in dark blue. LOVE IT!!!

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for sound systems????

I was also thinking about Daytons..... any other nice spoked rim makers out thee????

Members online

No members online now.
Back