programers

jbarne89

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some feedback on what people think is the best programer to buy. I have a 2001 LS with the 3.9. And any info on the best place to get the lowest price would be great! Thanx.

I think it's the livewire and or the SCT xcal.

I'm trying to find out the difference of the two myself at the moment

Ive got an SCT that I had custome tunes made for. The unit is high quality and hands down a custom tune is the best performance upgrade that you can make for the money.

They all do the same thing basically, they are a tool to transfer the tune to the car's pcm. The most important thing is the tune not the device, but if you want to go fancier, you can go with a livewrie or even that touch tuner they can out with. I bought a livewrie, but didn't really use all it's functions, especially because it was bulky and didn't like how it looked mounted. This was stolen so I just bought an xcal3, I believe it was, works the same, with less functions.

They all do the same thing basically, they are a tool to transfer the tune to the car's pcm. The most important thing is the tune not the device, but if you want to go fancier, you can go with a livewrie or even that touch tuner they can out with. I bought a livewrie, but didn't really use all it's functions, especially because it was bulky and didn't like how it looked mounted. This was stolen so I just bought an xcal3, I believe it was, works the same, with less functions.

That sucks, Has anyone tryed using any type computer software to tune there car, i have the cable from my scanner tool that I could plug into a lap top

I found some software I want to play around with but I need to do alot more research before I get into that

I think it's the livewire and or the SCT xcal.

I'm trying to find out the difference of the two myself at the moment

the Xcal is a regular tuner, you plug it in and reflash the car's computer then put it away until the next time that you use it, the livewire does the exact same thing, BUT it also has a big screen that you leave in the car and set it to give you information that you can use to monitor the engine.

i would also recommend buying the device from an actual tuner like Torrie instead of just some place on the internet even if it is a little more expensive, having a tuner that is familiar with the LS will be able to squeeze a bit more performance out of the tune itself instead of the super safe ones that come preloaded. also you can ask for specific options and your tuner can customize the tune for your use (like harder or softer shifting, what octane...)

if you want the best options out there, just buy the device, and then take it to a speed shop and have them tune it on the dyno(this also could help point out any weaknesses in the car like a weak fuel pump).

gotcha coach. And yeah, has anyone tried using their computer to program their car????

Get a flash program or something and use the cable USB or what have you to Car PCM hookup to flash the PCM?? This could be smart :p

BUT Also you have the chance of the computer program malfunctioning and messing up the PCM.. which isnt smart lol

There is a sct program where you can make your own tunes, but I dont know if you need a tuner to transfer the tune or not.

I have tune sets on my computer. I just put them on the tuner via usb.

gotcha coach. And yeah, has anyone tried using their computer to program their car????

Get a flash program or something and use the cable USB or what have you to Car PCM hookup to flash the PCM?? This could be smart :p

BUT Also you have the chance of the computer program malfunctioning and messing up the PCM.. which isnt smart lol

Good luck......

Check out the big thread by QuikLS on his supercharger build. He did a ton of work with SCT back in the day to get the programmers to work on these cars. So SCT is more than willing to work with enthusiasts, but you need to have the time and funds. And something for them to accomplish. They've got our nut cracked (har har), so now it's just a matter of making tunes. If you shell out enough money you can get the SW package to actually create tune files. The tuner community is pretty tight knit, so don't expect too much help. You're also much more likely to destroy your engine than to do better than the existing folks.

The SCT Xcal II is the centerpoint between a laptop and your car. The unit has a cable that plugs into the OBD port, and also a USB cable. I have used it several times to scan codes and remove them since I got mine and loaded the various changes that were thought desirable for land speed racing.

KS

ah, it's just an engine. Wonder if a 5.0 would fit under the hood?

of course it would, single cam motor are usually smaller than twin cams, a 5.0 is smaller than a 4.6, and we've seen that done before. its not getting the motor to fit that's the real challenge...

Members online

Back