Procedure for remote fob programming Gen 1

grizzlyls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this? Dam dealership sez its 1 hour labor (145 bucks!) for shorting some pins on a trunk module. :mad: 2001 car to help you remember...

Thanks!

Be more specific for me please? Forscan work? I could get that... Why does the dealer say 'short pins on a module', that doesnt sound like a computer is needed...

Dealer is wrong. There's no module in the trunk involved in this. It's in the driver's door. Also, there are no pins to short (They did work that way in 1994.) Instead, it is plugging their tool into the OBDII port. (pretty sure) I haven't heard of any OBDII tools that can do this, but it should be possible. I do think there are some specialized tools on e-bay that claim to be able to do it.

FORScan claims to have the ability, but it hasn't worked for me (either I misunderstood something or it told me my car was limited to 4 fobs, so I was afraid to delete one first), nor has pulling the door code (one was wrong, one was wrong AND only 4 digits). Granted, I haven't put much effort into it because I'm set on fobs and can do my own keys.

Ok, I need to grab forscan anyhow now I have a bluetooth laptop. Will try to chase it down through that. I am not worried about a 4 fob limit, since the 2 originals are very dirty and worn. If it overwrites fine, if it adds to 4 fine as well.

I will update with findings when I have it.

... If it overwrites fine, if it adds to 4 fine as well.

I will update with findings when I have it.

First step of the procedure erases all existing remotes (you can add them back in).

... 2 originals are very dirty and worn ...

Why not just transfer the internals to the new casings?

That's what I did, simple enough as long as you purchase the correct fobs for that year GEN. There's a specific number used on the back that matters and needs to be matched when attempting to purchase replacements.

Ya big, thanks that was my first thought. Sadly the originals have the battery on the pc board, and the new have it mounted in the backing. If I tried to mod, the plastic would appear to be to thin/off kilter. Probably could, but the fact the originals are so dirty with oils and such makes me want to go down this path

Actually, no, it's because you didn't match the numbers on the back when you bought replacements. Both GEN's have difference on the insides of the fobs. I'm on the road right now so I don't have access to my links or pics at home but could update for you.

I was once down in FL visiting my folks and when we went to the local flee market near Clearwater I saw and picked up a couple of replacer fobs to only learn when I got home they were different and wouldn't work for my first GEN. of course having picked up two more second GEN LSes' they did come in handy after all.

Long story short, there are a boatload of people selling these things online on eBay but you have to get the correct ones.

I have a specific link to a cool vendor out of NJ I think, who can sell you every single fob you'd ever want. I'll dig it up when I get home, I ended up getting the correct ones for my 01 but knew the programing would be a dealership thing, didn't need it anyhow, had enough working units just needed the fresh new casings and rubber inlays.

Doubt it's the same as my Gen 2, (I'm still a noob on here :D) but it's worth a try. Turn the key to the point before the vehicle starts 7 times, then press the lock button on the fob. You'll be able to tell if it works

Doubt it's the same as my Gen 2, (I'm still a noob on here :D) but it's worth a try. Turn the key to the point before the vehicle starts 7 times, then press the lock button on the fob. You'll be able to tell if it works

It isn't. Gen 1 needs special tool.

Thanks big. At $9.95 for two its no loss if I cant get them to work. Hell way battery prices are going now hardly can get cr2032 for that price. If you can get that info, and I can get the externals that would be cool.

NorthCoast Keyless HQ
Fairview PA

http://www.northcoastkeyless.com/product-category/lincoln-keyless-entry-remotes/ls-lincoln/

Take note of the FCC ID # on the back of the FOB's.
Second last line up.

Those FCC ID's and P/N's matter :: different GEN's = different numbers

~ it is important to check the FCC ID and Part Number of an existing remote.

You can also google your FFC ID and P/N see what gives.
If you match the correct casings you can simple swap out the internals.
note: with no battery connected you can easily clean the little pcb just be sure to dry it well (use air pressure (dust can)).

GL

EDIT - expand ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (on those northcoastkeyless.com product pages)

looked at it, now I see whats up. Anyhoo, that case only is the 2006 version, which is what I got off Amazon for 2 for $9.95 (full remotes). Of course Amazon doesn't distinguish it as 2006 only. It may work though. You can even see the pics for the case it is battery in the backing. May end up still trying Forscan.

Well, gonna try and write them and see if I can get the 2000 - 2005 style casing.

Yeah the two different versions is what makes the internals different to a point where the little pcb and battery differ in how they clasps together within the backing/casing.

There was a thread here several years ago regarding fobs. Part of that thread directed folks to a video about renewing non-working fobs. It showed how to use a special conductive paint to fix the worn area inside the fob. I dug around in the drawer that has my redundant fobs and found one (not used!) that was of the same design. It was simple to trade the worn part for a new one and the fob has worked just fine ever since. I re-used the part specific to the car and just replaced the other parts.

KS

NorthCoast Keyless Support <support@northcoastkeyless.com>
11:48 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
Hi Douglas,

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, we do not sell just the casing for this particular remote as we only have the OEM remote in stock and cannot break off the casing from the electronics.

I would recommend visiting a local automotive locksmith with the two replacement remotes that you have. They should be able to give you a much better price than $150 for programming. That is an absurd quote that I am guessing you received from the dealership.

If I can be of any service with the remotes themselves in the future, please let me know.

Thank you.
CD
NorthCoast Keyless

So there we go. The version with the battery on the PCB is not so likely to be swappable. If someone finds the shell for that let us know please. Of course, this is a good resource, because I could go so far as buy one of the complete fobs for 14.95 used or 24.95 new and then use the outers.

Will update about Forscan when I can.

Pretty sure that's what I ended up doing, (sorry, had a bunch of fob's going on at the same time). Reading the fine print for programming the 1st GEN required a visit to the dealership, I said why? I have two fully functional fobs for my 01, just the one fob had a broken piece of plastic at the key hole hanger busted off and both had fading of the rubber buttons. They came with new batteries, so I just took the outer casings, the inner blue/red rubbers and batteries and installed my own pcb's after cleaning them.

I was mucking around with cleaning up and replacing casings on the wife's 03 and my 04 LSE as well at that same time, so I knew of the difference with respect to the battery placement and hold down.

Try Googling that P/N and FCC ID, might be some vendors on eBay that would sell just the casings/shells.

<shrugs>

Oh BTW, not sure if you know or already knew this. It's listed in your OM.

Long press the LOCK or UNLOCK (one of the two, can't remember) for longer then three seconds and watch magic happen.

* note do not perform this task in the middle of winter after a carwash where water got in and around the moon roof seals. Ask me how I know. :shifty:

To reverse what BigRig had you try, put the key in the door, turn it to lock the doors and hold it :Beer

(Wish you could hold the lock button to do it. Would come in handy for those "about to leave-hold unlock" then change of plans)

...(Wish you could hold the lock button to do it. Would come in handy for those "about to leave-hold unlock" then change of plans)[/SIZE]

You can "code" BMWs to do this, and probably some other makes as well.
I've thought about adding an electronic circuit to do this (probably keyed off of three quick presses of the lock button), but I'll probably never get around to it (just like the thought of making one to close the windows/sunroof when it starts raining).

Members online

No members online now.
Back