problems

02 ls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 2002 ls v8 with close to 83k miles, recently for whatever reason first gear doesnt work, i know its a automatic but if i put it down into first the car seems to lock almost like the feeling when you put it in park. i was think torque converter but was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and what they did to fix it.

my next problem is that randomly at times i put the key in the ignition go to start it and nothing happens. it doesnt turn over or anything, the battery is fine and i have already replaced the starter and solenoid. then one day it did it again and i started wiggling the shifter around in park and then it starter so i then replaced the nuetral saftey switch thinking that may of been the problem, for the next couple of weeks it worked fine. last night though it did it again. any ideas?

PS: sorry for poor grammar and spelling, thanks

It's at least conceivable that you have a shifter that needs to be adjusted for alignment.
KS

On the no-start condition, the first thing I'd check is the starter relay--I had that problem on my '04. It's located in the Power Distribution Box behind the passenger-side headlight. IIRC, the starter and horn relays are identical, so you can swap them and see if the problem moves to the horn.

yea i already replaced the starter and relay and i know i did because my horn relay is all messed up it sounds like a lilttle eouropean car

I had a gutless horn for a while. It only had one tone (instead of the high and low together). It fixed itself.

Problems? What problems?

If it wasn't for my Lincoln LS, my tools would get rusty!

Keep a pad and paper in the car and write down the exact occurance of the problem. Time, temp, weather, was car hot or cold, length of sitting time, gas in tank, water temp, everything! Keep writing until you see a pattern develop, this will help the diagnosis.

It could be as simple as bad connections on the battery terminals.

Last edited:
no the light doesnt come on, it happened again after 5 hours sitting in the rain and 5 hours sitting in a parking garage both times temp around 50 degrees, i was able to start it by holding the key turned and wiggling the shifter back and fourth between drive and nuetral, this problems has not occured since monday though....still having problems with the transmission though, thanks for all the help

no the light doesnt come on, it happened again after 5 hours sitting in the rain and 5 hours sitting in a parking garage both times temp around 50 degrees, i was able to start it by holding the key turned and wiggling the shifter back and fourth between drive and nuetral, this problems has not occured since monday though....still having problems with the transmission though, thanks for all the help

Sounds like a bad shifter/shift interlock.

yea, anyone have any ideas on the 1st gear not working??? torque converter? buler?

yea, anyone have any ideas on the 1st gear not working??? torque converter? buler?

If you're talking putting the shifter in 1st and it doesn't work, I would look at the shifter. Mine went bad years ago and I couldn't engage D4.

no i mean i puy it into 1st and the car seems to lock, also when in d4 when i launch hard i can feel that its starting in seccond

Members online

No members online now.
Back