PROBLEMS: transmission just got rebuit and rear end too

Markus2

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
got car back on thursday.
transmission is unfortunately not working up to what i think it should.

The gear ratio i went with are 355's. Rear end feels very on point. Only reused part was the POSI UNIT. VERY HAPPY. woke it up 'plenty.. nuf for my blood anyhow.

However, the trans was rebuilt with a transgo(i think that was the brand) shift kit. The shifts under full excelleration occur now close to 6,000 rpms...this only occurs under full open throttle. It kicks down to the lowest possible gear and redlines on the rpms and than shifts.
and it shifts hard and firm-which is good...

and now HERE IS THE BIG HOWEVER..... (SIGHS)

sometimes when it kicks down...it does the following in a MACH setting:

I will be driving along between 55 and 60.
And I will stomp on the gas (full open throttle)
and it will down shift to i think 3rd gear(bear with me here...)
tach. will go to 3 grand or so......
but, there will be a delay of power transfer from the engine. (its not a flat spot in the engine power band or anything like that) def. transmission
delay of about 2 long seconds...
and during the delay i will be accelerating, but not at the speed it should.
THan after approx the two seconds it like litterally STEPS UP AND THE car begins pulling like it should at that rpm range.

Bringing it back on monday.
Called the shop.
Very cool, very appologetic.

Just want to know what i can expect or if any of the above makes sense.

***ALSO: OVerdrive is by far the hardest gear and goes in very hard at slower speeds like 45 range. I feel it. I hear it. The mech. had advised me not drive with it in drive as opposed to OD when around town doin anything below 50. I think that is reccomended anyway with any car rite? But it shifts to OD smoother when im goin above 60 or so. I can take it out of OD into Drive and it is always smooth and firm and tight. However D-OD below 60 results in a very noticeable shift. SIGH???????????

Thanks guys.

Your tranny and Diff are OK!

The probelm is in the engine computer. It has to think about it when you step on the pedal. Before you changed the gears you didn't notice it since the car couldn't rev fast enough to go past what the ECU could handle. now that it revs faster, the ECM cannot keep up with the engine. So, once it pulls it's head out of it's back side, it kicks in with all the timing and fuel and you take off.
If you think its bad now, wait until you ad more horsepower. When I dropped in my 342 some timmes the computer wont kick in until 4,000

holy moly

so...
what can i do to fix this problem if anything?
there is always a fix.
what did you do?

i have spoken to two mechanics since thurs when i picked it up and they both seem to think its the cable.

but what YOU say makes more sense to me because it feels as if a COMPUTER, as you put it, is on "low pull" as soon as it kicks down, but moments later as if somebody hits a switch, YES ITS THAT INSTANT AND SMOOTH AS HITTING A SWITCH AS IF ITS DOIN WHATS ITS SUPPOSED TO, it goes to "HARD FEIRCE AND ;shift kit status with gears; MODE".

ya know.

so i really do look forward to what the trans. shop says to me tom. or tues.

either or i asked them in advance if the work they were performing would effect anything thing else on my vehicle and how it operates.
they said in no negative way.
it seems to me that this is most def. a negative thing.

thanks fellow mark owner.
ill update after the nightmare shop visit :(:eek:

Well, I haven't fixed it. I do plan on getting some dyno time and having a chip burned for the ECU. But In the middle of this depression we are in, I don't think it would be wise to blow about $800.00 when I can't afford the gas for my pig anyhow. 7mpg in town, 15-18mpg on the hwy. That is partly due to my verrry heavy right foot. I haven't driven it since the end of April until this past weekend on a 500 mile road trip.
I also just got done installing a new intake manifold, Plugs, flushed the cooling system, and installed a Summit Racing tach that has oil pressure, coolant temp, and a volt meter all in one. (stuff i've had around the house for about a year and a half.)
You might want to also post this issue on www.fordvschevy.com under the Hotrod Lincolns Forum.
The member named "Silverfox" is the resident AOD Guru.
You will find me there too using the same login.
Rick

update. HELP

Just got car back again from trans. shop. It feels far less aggressive with the shifting now, which i dont like.
Its in third gear rather quick.
need a more aggressive set up, and one that works i told him.

So its goin back a third time in two weeks to get put back to how it was when it came out the first time-minus the problem it was having..
oh yeah..
about that hesitation issue when the car is supposed to be pulling.

Not a transmission of power issue.
but rather a FUEL issue of some sort.
At numerous speeds when throttle is opened and the trans downshifts....
there is a lack of pull for about 2 seconds or less still and than like a switch it starts pulling hard.

I think, the trans shop thinks, and my mech. thinks its a lack of fuel issue.

*i had mentioned that when the car got back from the trans shop i would have to drop the tank and replace it (its rotted) and change the fuel pump around.

Current fuel issues are as follows:

1.Hesitates to pull and have fuel delivered when asked upon during open throttle.

2.when tank is below 1/4 tank full and i make a turn-and try to accelerate-it bogs out almost stalls and then picks back up as if somebody "slows the flow of fuel to almost nothing" within second or two the engine comes roaring back to life and the car continues out of the turn.

3. The leak from the rotted fuel tank.

So why when replacing the fuel pump does evey body upgrade to higher flowing pumps like 190's and what not.
Correct me if im wrong but doesn't the stock fuel pressure regulator, regulate the flow, so even if the pumps pumps more, its really not going to make a difference.

Im ordering a fuel pump today and gas tank with new straps.

What should i know about this???

HELP PLEASE

another update.

flat spots when under full throttle are gone:
air hose leading directly to MAP, i think its the map, mounted along the back half of the engine compartment, behind the top of the upper manifold...
well...
it was hissing...
and the hiss gets worst, as will a cut in a rubber hose, as you accelerate and more air is pushed through.

So thats that.

Trans is still goin back to shop for THIRD time to try to get the shift pattern set to a more aggressive set up.
This will happen next week...
along with..

fuel tank and pump of course filter too.
got my 190 unit in the mail today.
waiting for the tank now and tank straps.

the battle continues.

Car Broke Down In Parking Garage In Nyc

Attendant drove it to me. ANd thats when it happened.

Car would not leave park.
Gear selector just slides effortlessly and tensionless through all your options from Park too 1. It stays in park.

Just had the rebuild done.
Super expensive tow-rite back to the shop-so monday morning they will see my car with a note.

So whats up?
Shift linkage cable maybe or something internal.
It feels like it has no tension like the cable is NOT attached.

Should this be happening after a full rebuild.

I dont want them telling me, come monday, that this has nothing to do with the transmission that they rebuilt-and that the costs of towing is not covered in that basic one year warranty that they give when they did the rebuild. seems to be the stanard amongst transmission shops-standard one year BS.

SO...any advice going into this.
car was goin back to shop this week anyway for the third time to try to get all adjustments made with the set up of the shift kit. Now its back because the transmission wont shift. i dont know how they cant take fault on that.

please advise me guys.
my nightmare is getting worst here

tn-2.jpeg

tn-1.jpeg

It can be one of several items.
1; The shifter cable might have broken.
2; the cable might have just popped of its ball and socket connector.
3; there may be something broken inside the tranny, but I'm thinking not since the shifter moves very smoothly.
You might need to bring them a dozen doughnuts and coffee in the morning and maybe they will replace the cable for for just the cost of the cable.
Good luck with it.

i get it back tom. ( i did not bring any coffee or doughnuts)

they shop that built my transmission is taking care of the costs of a new cable.
Said it was disconnected and kinked up.

The shop just rebuilt my trans and rear end.
Im happy they are honoring the work at least and fixing it.

After less than one thousand miles on a rebuilt transmission, the cable goes.
I dont beleive in "just by chance" anymore.

I think something just was not connected correctly when the reinstallation of my transmission happened.

either way.
Tom. i get it back with the adjustments to the shift kit and cable.

Hope it all works out...

world turns upside down

i paid for the cable.

life sucks.

car is shifting much better, firmer, like the overall feel of it.

Members online

Back