Problems...Calling all Deville experts!

amil5927

New LVC Member
Reaction score
First, let me introduce my self, i am a 18 year old recent H.S. graduate driving a 1994 Cadillac Deville. A wonderful car may i add. I've been a car enthusiast all my life, and while i have a nice 240 that doesn't require much cash, my daily driver has been throwing numerous fits. :C

first off, the oil has been leaking for some time now, i was aware of this problem, and have been tending to it, no problems there. THe deville has got 133,000+ on her-not the exact number, but it's around there.

Recently, i've had smoke coming out of the pully area (smells like rubber), it was light gray. The first conclusion me and my neighbor have come to is that it was the AC clutch that had locked up and started to burn. My neighbor dissconected the AC- i took the deville for a nice ride, about 5 miles and she rode nice and smooth without problems. i popped the hood, and everything was fine. I turned her off, gave it a break for about 3 minutes talked to my friend. When i proceeded to turn the car back on, it was alot rougher, and when i got home, sure enough, that smell of rubber is back. any idea what the problem is? all comments are MUCH appreciated

When you disconnected the A/C did you bypass the compressor with a shorter belt?

If not, it sounds like the A/C hub bearing is shot and it's starting to seize up. You don't want that to happen because you could totally ruin the compressor. When the bearing starts to seize the belt can get very hot and melt. If it’s the hub, once it heats up if you pour some water onto it the water will bead off similar to water on a hot wood stove. When the bearing starts to break apart it will throw off metal fragments so be careful when looking at the A/C compressor as you don't want to get hit in the eye--I suggest wearing safety glasses. The bearing is inexpensive—about $20-30. A Cadillac dealer will sell it for about $24.00. However, the bearing must be pressed out and the new one pressed in at your local machine shop. Alternatively, you could buy both the bearing and hub as a unit for about $110. To take the hub off you will require a special tool to remove the clutch plate and hub assembly. GM refers to the tool as J33013-B/Clutch Plate Drive Plate ASM. Remover (See GM factory Service Manual, p. 1D2-3).

If it is the A/C hub bearing you can bypass the A/C compressor with a shorter belt until the bearing is replaced. If your engine is the 4.6L Northstar you can use ACDelco 6K739 or CarQuest No. K060739.

Of course, it could be something else, but I suggest you check the hub first. Did you check the power steering fluid—I doubt if it’s the power steering, but it doesn’t hurt to check. If it’s another pully such as the belt tensioner, the bearing can be repacked with grease. Just carefully remove the seals and repack.

Members online

No members online now.
Back