problem with od

evf4720

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i got a 3500 stall tc put in along with 4.10 gears and the jmod. its my first stall converter so im not used to the thing to begin with. but it wont drive at cruising speed unless od is off. i tried cruise control and it red lined on me. i havent done much testing cuz its still open headers. im taking it to an exhaust shop soon. any ideas?

i think its in the valve body but im not real sure. the converter is circle d and i got a sct tuner from boc and i went ahead and just got a jmodded valvebody from bcautomotive. i believe i left the bottom 1-2 spring out and the 2-3 spring out. its been a while so i might have gotten that info turned around lol. like i said im not real sure where to go from here.

i dont have the time to work on it with school and work so i will probably take it to my dealership. they wont drive it untill i get the exhaust put on because of emmissions but they treated me extremely well before. but i thought i would see what words of wisdom you guys have. any help is greatly appriciated. thanks

what spring is that? i dont think i did anything with a 3-4 spring. sorry if mm coming off as stupid lol like i said i havent done anything with the car since may. i forgot most of the stuff i picked up on this forum. my memory is like a steel trap with one hell of a leak.

but back to the car... it redlines then shifts into 3rd. then when it calms down it does it all over again. it drives fine with od off. but i have about 15mins both ways of 70mph everyday going to work and back. the other 15 mins is 55+. i really dont drive in town much. besides, its been covered that driving with od off is bad on :q:q:q:q so thats not an option.

is there any chance it could be in my tune?

if you changed gears, but not the speedo gears, the car and its shift points can get pretty confused..
on a gen 1 anyway.

i uploaded a vid of me trying to casualy accelerate.

its a little on the loudside because this is on my way to the exhaust shop.

also i tried just mashing it from a dead stop.... the good: it took off like a bat out of hell and was all over the road. the bad: right after it shifted into second it acted like it was gonna take off but then fell into nuetral and went straight to 7 grand. it did the same thing at 40 and 60mph... downshifted and jumped forword. then straight up the tach it went.

it didnt do that before. so either i accidentaly screwed something up flipping through options on the programmer (accidentaly hit go back instead of cancel a few times) or it is getting worse.

another thought is that the car didnt have a tranny dipstick in it when i took it to the shop and now it does. could they have put the wrong one in and maybe have the wrong level of fluid? not sure f this would have these effects or not but i thought it was worth bringing up.

now that the exhaust is back on i have driven it some more. and ive noticed that second gear is acting exactly like overdrive. if i put it in 2nd manually it just revs up. but i can kind of feel it pull every time i tap the gas. almost like the car wants to go but then it just goes to redline instead. the same thing happens in overdrive unless i give it enough gas for a downshift into 3rd. if i have od off the car drives in 3rd with no problem other than its alot higher rpms than i would like.

if i floor it from a stand still the car takes off and bounces off the redline a few times then shifts to second and goes for like half a second then goes straight to 7000rpm untill i let off enough for it to shift into third. if i get on it too much in 3rd it downshifts to 2nd and once again revs up like theres no tommorow.

i want to say that second used to work because when i first got it back (and after it was warmed up of coarse) i floored it taking off from a complete stop and it pulled hard all the way until i let off around 80.

does this sound more like a valvebody problem or a tuner problem? i have no clue at this point.

if you changed gears, but not the speedo gears, the car and its shift points can get pretty confused..
on a gen 1 anyway.

its a 97 so i dont have to change the speedometer gear right? and i think the shift points are ok other than it not shifting into 2nd until 25 then going directly into 3rd. actually that does sound confused lol

i got it tuned for the 4.10s and the 3500 stall converter and the jmod. it came prewritten on my sct x3 programer from boc

I'd drop the valve body and double check the jmod or see if it is not on flat...

you think the valvebody just is on crooked and thats causing all my problems? that would be nice.

its gotta be in the valvebody. i returned it to the stock tune and i still have the same problems. only now there is a weird noise coming from the back of the car. but i think thats an exhaust leak because there was a truck at work that made the same noise. and it stops when you are accelerating or when you tap the gas but then it comes right back. idk about that one but for now i just want the other half of my gears back :p

Members online

Back