Problem with my 1985 Lincoln town car

Lydia Robinvale

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I am so frustrated! I have a 1985 Lincoln town car hearse. Of the various issues I have with it, there is this awful clinking/clicking/tinking noise coming from underneath the car in the front. It almost sounds like little rocks tinking around under there. It only happens when I've driven for about 5 minutes, and most when I am moving forward. Sometimes at a stop I hear a similar buzzing noise coming from the same area (not the fuel pump).

Basically what I can say is what I know. I know one of the motor mounts is bad. I know that there's something up with the transmission, as it makes a squeaking noise when I start out from a stop, then goes away. It has a pretty bad shudder and some gears are worse than others. In reverse, if the wheel is all the way turned, I hear a very loud clicking noise and BOOM, the car stops. That has to do with the column shifter slipping, though. Also, I have a brand new exhaust and carrier bearing, so I don't think it's that, however I am 99% sure the u-joints are bad.

I also suspect the cats are bad. Jimmy has a little bit of a power issue, and he's doing pretty bad on gas these days. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea, based on this information, of what could possibly be wrong. I feel like I'm on a wild goose chase and I don't know where to start. I am currently in an automotive program, but this is way beyond my experience. The clicking noise has gotten worse lately, and today while at a stop light, I heard a loud clunk just while I was sitting here, from the same general area. If someone could give me an idea of places to start looking, I would really appreciate it! I can give any additional information needed, to the best of my ability. Thanks in advance!

Members online

No members online now.
Back