Problem with lack of a/c performance (not blend door, not low freon)

vicefan86

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Having a little bit of a problem with my a/c in my 94 Signature (first year of R134a), even though in a few months it won't even matter. Been trying to solve it all summer off and on, mostly with R134-a cans and the like. Let's start from the top of the events and symptoms that happened.

1. Got warm. No cold air whatsoever coming out, took it to a shop for a cheap A/C diagnosis and was told that #1 my a/c was bone dry and #2 there was a tiny tiny leak and wanted to charge me $300 bucks to run dyed freon through it. Rejected that offer and left.

2. Bought one 11 oz freon/2 oz cleaner can and added part of it, apprehensive to add all of it because the pressure gauge was already in the yellow/red area of the psi gauge. Added it all eventually. Compressor cycled every 8 seconds roughly. Performed the EATC diagnostic test and it came back with no codes. Blend door functioning properly because I can feel the change between putting it on max heat and max cool.

3. After reading that the TC has a 38oz freon supply I added another can- WOW. Immediately got ice cold a/c and was thrilled the problem was fixed. Still had similar highish pressure readings and similar compressor cycles.

4. Or was it?Less then 24 hours later of commuting with the a/c on, the ice cold a/c became less powerful over 30 minutes of driving and eventually vanished going back to no cool air to speak of, which suggested to me a leak. This and everything before it took place in July-August. Ignored the problem for a while because of work.

5. Added a 3 oz can of A/C stopleak (this afternoon) and the compressor promptly stopped working period. What progress! Pressure readings back and higher then ever.

Any ideas? I am about ready to give up and just send it to a shop somewhere as I do not have the tools or the knowhow to do any sort of hardcore A/C work. What little i do know suggests a bum compressor but that may be way off the mark. Any A/C experts in the house? If I hurry to fix it I may have ice cold a/c by thanksgiving:D

Members online

Back