Problem with climate system

Lincoln LS

1. lincoln_zero

lincoln_zero Dedicated LVC Member

So this morning took the LS to get tinted, and after leaving, I now have an issue.

AC blew cold through all vents yesterday in the 2.5 hour drive home, and all last night when I went out to dinner.

Now today here's what its doing:
    Set to cold (16 degrees both sides) AC on, Circ on:
    Left Driver side vent vent: Cool air (not freezing cold)
    Middle two vents: Cool on top part, hot on bottom of same said vent.
    Right Vent Passenger side: Very warm air.

When I raise the temps to Max heat (32): all vents blow pure hot.

2004 Lincoln LS V8.
    Any help is appreciated as always fellas. Probably a common issue. But it would help to know where to start.

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Well, unfortunately that didn't take long. While it could be something else, it sounds like low refrigerant. A check with high-side/low-side gauges will quickly confirm this or rule it out.
    Is it possible the seller topped it up just before you looked at it?
    Also unfortunately being in Canada complicates the problem for you. Stay away from the R-12a stuff. (I hope that's not what's in there now.)

I remember sometime in the 80s going to look at a car that was parked in an empty lot near a gas station. The seller remarked that he sure hoped it started okay since it had not been started in a month. (I had already felt the warm engine.)
    Afterwards, talked to the attendant in the gas station. He said that he watched the seller go to the car 30 minutes before I got there and put a can or two of Freon in.
    That said, most sellers aren't that bad.

3. lincoln_zero

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I called the seller, he says he didn't touch the AC at all. We had a cold spell here, and when I got in the car for the first time, it was set to a warmer temp. I do think its literally just awkward timing. Tho my dad had the exact same experience you had, but with a T-Bird. Salesman warmed it up and the next day, nothing but problems on startup.
    So I wouldn't rule out they may have charged it. But they deny doing so.

So i'm gonna try and have a crack at it with a friend of mine who did some mechanical work. "high-side/low-side gauges" <-- where are those? I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Thanks joegr.

4. joegr

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be the one doing it...
    Take it to a good AC shop or a good dealer.

5. lincoln_zero

I wouldn't be doing it alone. My friend worked as a mechanic for hyundai. Hes a novice mechanic, but knows his way around. I would never attempt anything involving pressurized lines all by my lonesome.

6. lincoln_zero

What do you recommend for freon?

7. joegr

It's "Suva", not "Freon". You need R-134a only (and some pag oil, of course), but you are getting ahead of yourself here.
    Check the pressures. See how they fit with the factory charts to see if you are low or not. Note that Hyundai's procedures and expected pressures are different, even though they use R-134a too.
    If the refrigerant level is low, you need to find and fix the leak, replace the receiver/dryer, vacuum the system out, figure out how much oil is still in there and add to get the correct amount, and then weight the correct amount of R-134a in.

8. lincoln_zero

Thank you. I will definitely show this procedure to my friend and go from there.