problem update

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
O.k. guys......car idles fine no c/e light but smells rich out the exhaust......give it gas and hesitates and backfires then at about 2500-3000 it runs o.k., let off gas and idles o.k should i hear somthing? engine sounds like running smooth, i am going to replace the o2 and do the cat thing sometime this week, if that doesn't solve it then I will have to take it in to the shop and let them figure it out...I haven't checked the plugs cause I don't have too many tools(I am just starting out) and am borrowing em from my uncle as I need em and i am not sure exactly what i need to get the plugs out....let me know! also I am puzzled as to why no C/E light ? can anyone explain this?........again.....cam sensor changed chip out cleaned ran with and without chip , no change on all that.....starts fine ,idles seems low at first, but smooth no c/e light......rich smell at the rear.....tap gas and bogs and bacfires then clears up at about 2500-3000 rpm....then idles fine again....I am so f'n confused....WHAT COULD IT BE!!!! Chris are you about 100% positive on the o2 thing? Did your car have the same symptoms.....give me your story,also could some one put a brief o2 change info up or post a link with tool list.....thanks guys!!!!!! Jeff :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang :mad:

dont do anything else till you change the plugs ,,, no matter whats wrong with it...fouled plugs can cause all those things , you may have fixed the problem and dont know it..

Do the 02's and get it over with. Make sure the car is cooled off completely or you'll be roasting your hands on the pipes. Gets very tight in there. Passenger side no biggee. Driver's side, whole nother story. I am also pretty sure that is your problem, unless you are using coolant, then it might be a head gasket.

The plugs are easy, just take off the beauty covers on the heads. You need to plug the plug wires slowly so as to not tear them. Someone had a little secret on putting some super glue on the socket so you can pull then plug up and out without the socket coming off. You need a standard plug socket and about 6-8 inches of extension on a 3/8 ratchet. Then check the plugs for color. make sure you mark each plug with its corresponding hole so you know hwat is going on in each cylinder. Post the pics if you can and I couple of us can chime in on our thoughts based on what we see.

Good luck.

thanks John and Bryan.....plugs and o2's and gut cats will be done this week, i took pics of the cam sensor change, for future posting in tech forum, i will do the same for the others i may just send the pics, and let you guys or moderaters caption them.....anyway i am finishing my true cold air intake on my car filter sits atop the compressor, if you can't get the filter to get pass the compressor, undo the 2 bolts holding the comp frame and push it down, moves and filter fits fine.....glad to see somthing worked out for me this weekend, i'll be driving the ranger for the next week or so until prob solved I'll keep you all informed....thank god for this and other sites :D i'd a ditched the mark months ago :N :Bang ........but still :L

i don't think its a head gasket(fingers crossed) cause the oil looks good,except wear dirty you know....o2 and plugs if thats not it......to the shop she'll go........pics will follow, since I was off this weekend, my work schedule will be busy so it may take a week or so to "git 'er done!" again thanks all and we'll see what happens!!!! :D :L

Members online

No members online now.
Back