Probably gonna buy a '92 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite tomorrow!

92SedandeVille-TownCar94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
After looking for a little while, and test driving many Honda Accords, Oldsmobile Ninety Eights, and a few Buick Park Avenues, I have found a car that I will probably purchase tomorrow.

It is a 1992 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite with 164,700 miles. On top of the standard features of the Regency Elite, it has a lot of options. Off the top of my head, I know it has leather, dual zone A/C, twilight sentinel, the DIGITAL DASH (very cool) and it has the aluminum wheels. It's a Medium Blue two tone paint with a platinum lower half and dark blue leather.

The car is not perfect, and for $1200 it should not be. The paint is a little faded in some places, and the front passengers side fender has a bit of damage due to the owner sliding into a snowbank. But the car is rust free.
The motor is in good condition, it runs smooth and drives nice, the tranny is good too. It's a decently quick car, more powerful than my dad's 3.1 Lumina. Overall, It doesn't feel like it has 164k miles.

But for $1200, the car will need some work. First off, it needs two new hood struts, new brake calipers (the left one sticks). And it will need a new catalytic converter later because the one it has now is rattling inside. The steering column is a bit loose, so it will need 4 new bolts. And the car leaks a bit of oil around the intake manifold, not a lot, but just a bit. I could put a new gasket on I suppose. Those are the biggest problems we found.
The car is missing two buttons on the steering wheel, and there is a hole in one of the buttons on the dashboard. It also needs the engine cover that says "3800 Tuned Port Injection" that broke off halfway. And for some odd reason, the motor is pretty loud, it's like it has an exhaust leak, but I can't smell any exhaust when in the car.

The interior of the car is quite nice, but not perfect. The leather is dark blue and is in pretty good condition. It has some cracks on the passengers seat, but nothing major, the drivers seat is in good condition, and the back seat is in really good shape. The dashboard is in good shape, and thank god the digital dash works well. The Driver Information Center works very well and thats probably my favorite feature, along with the 3800 V6! The carpeting is a little dirty, but a good detailing will fix that, and it has all 4 carpeted floor mats that say Oldsmobile on the front ones. The headliner is in good condition, but it's hanging a bit on the C pillars, oh well it's only $1200.

The nice thing about this car is it's not in the best condition, so I won't have to baby it or be overly concerned about it, but it's still nice enough where I will like it a lot. This drivetrain should prove to be very reliable, because the 3800 is arguably one of the best V6s ever. This is going to be a car that will be economical, reliable, luxurious, cheap to get into, and it should last me through college.

Tomorrow, I am going to talk to the dealer that offered to buy my car last week for $1500 and sell it to him, and if he does that, then I will buy the Ninety Eight!

Let me know what you think!
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/1G3CW...1.jpg?xt=70012

Hopefully, more pics will come later!

1G3CW53LXN4311482%2D1.jpg

there it is

1992 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite , wow, thats a mouthful!!

90 olds

One of the best cars I ever had was a 1990 olds regency brougham, I like the style a lot more than the 92 style, keep your eye out for one,exactly the same mechanically as your 92, but doesn't have the aircraft carrier shape, to each his own.

forgot

Forgot to mention to have a look at some 1990's go to carsdomain.com
and have a look at some 1988-1990 olds.
let me know what you think of that style.

I really like the 88-90s. They've got a clean design, dated, but clean. They're just as big inside as the 91-96's but they're nine inches shorter overall. The interior is not as nice as the 91-96's either. But I would buy one as a winter car if I saw one that was nice enough. They're extremely cheap and reliable.

When I was looking at that 1992, there was an 87 Regency Brougham Coupe with the Grande edition for sale in my area. 89,000 miles for $1500. It sold the day before I was gonna look at it! :(

Members online

Back