pretty cool stuff and done to Mark VIII

Wonder if they ever made more than just the two that were in the video?

BMW sorta did it first:

bmw-z1-03.jpg
The good ol' Z-1.

bmw-z1-03.jpg

Anybody else annoyed by the snobby pronunciation of "mahk viii" in this ad and most of the mark viii ads of the 90s trying to make it so elegant sounding. Love how they show those classy business women getting into both of those cars..imagine this same commentary with two of our cars from LVC (say Franks red dragon and kirks silver 98) in place of the ones from this ad..lol

On a side note imagine how f*cked up the paint would get on those doors if you winter drove it having slush and ice build up where the door slides away..I could see some major flaws with that design.

[video=youtube;9bq3m5QN4JY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bq3m5QN4JY[/video]It was probably a concept, Buick did something like that in 2000 with the Buick Regal Cielo. pretty cool, but this idea never caught on either.

I'm pretty sure the door was all plain on the inside.. not the stock door panel..

Disappearing door concept came along two decades before it was ever used on a Lincoln.

The Jatech engineers were heavily influenced by the mechanical concept pioneered by GM in the late '60s.

Although the disappearing door were not used as side entry points, it was successfully integrated as standard equipment in four models of the '71-'72 Chevy station wagon tailgates: The Biscayne wagon, The Caprice wagon, The Impala wagon and The Bel-Aire wagon.

This is one of the earliest videos showing a disappearing rear door as standard equipment in a full production early '70s Chevy vehicle.

Jatech LLC is a California Limited Liability Company formed to promote the Founders proprietary inventions, the Retractable Vehicle Door, also know as the Disappearing Car Door and Rotary Drop Door and other technologies.
This ground breaking, game changing technology has been developed over the last decade incorporating design and engineering input from many major automobile manufacturers Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) and their Tier One suppliers.
The recent response to the Company website (12 Million worldwide visitors) has emphasized the opportunity for sales of the Retractable Door Technology on a worldwide basis with broad vehicle applications.

The Rotary Drop Door concept slide show...
http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/slideshow/show/phpslideshow.php?directory=pics

Last edited by a moderator:
haha I miss seeing all those old gunboat station wagons on the highways. Now its all mini vans. My family had the sparkly blue chevy caprice with fake wooden sides on it. An also an older chevy impala station wagon with 350 in it.

Staff online

Members online

Back