Power surging

HALFGIG

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I noticed my headlights/dash lights/stereo lights etc. Surging. 2 days ago the Alternator light came on briefly. I figured it was the Alternator or the PCM. Today just prior to making the decision to take off the Alternator I disconnected the battery for an hour. I hooked it back up, started the car and it fixed the problem. It is now charging a steady 14.5 volts. When it was surging it was between 11.8 and over 15 volts. What do you think brought this on?

Either one or both of your battery connections was dirty or loose before you disconnected/reconnected, or the alternator issue will be back in a day or two.

I had a similar issue. Cleaning the ground cable connection at the starter bolt fixed it for me.

I had a similar issue. Cleaning the ground cable connection at the starter bolt fixed it for me.

I cleaned the ground on the starter. It was clean to begin with but I wire brushed it all anyway. Thank you for the idea but it is not the problem. I believe it is the 3 prong connector on the alternator.

When I started the car after cleaning the battery ground their was only 11 volts on the system. I pushed and pulled on the 3 prong connector then started the car back up and it was charging. I need to get someone to watch the meter while I move the connector around. I will do that soon to narrow it down better. I think I've seen somewhere on here that someone has redone that connector. If that rings a bell with someone see if you can find the thread. I'm looking but I can't find it yet. Have a good day

Members online

No members online now.
Back