power steering.

Markus2

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Everywhere I look to get a new PS pump- the option is always the same.

Says "w or w/o handling package"

I have a 91 LSC so im not sure-it has factory air suspension-and everything else is stock.

I thought maybe the handling package only applied to GTC vehicles...
or do all LSC have the handling package because of the different RACK found in the LSC's.

Guide please-I have enough issues with my idle-the least I can do is get the darn thing to quit pissing all over my parking garage floor.

Thanks guys

update

ordered a new high pressure hose.
ordered a power steering pump- specified that i DID NOT HAVE THE HANDLING PACKAGE-because as stated above-it was the only option when looking at these pumps.

Lincoln had no clue and the Ford Dealership seemed to conclude with me that the handling package might have been a reference to the aftermarket upgrades that were done on the GTC models.
But I am not certain-neither was Ford-but I ordered it and am going to try to get the part on when it arrives later in week.

I will post up to let y'all know the outcome.

Installed power steering pump specified for mark vii without handling package.
I still have no clue what that means if anybody does???
?????
???
??

Seems to be working fine however I have horrible belt squeal when in park and i rev it.
and sometimes as i drive from a complete stop to rolling...it squeals than too.

I used the same pulled and I dont quite get why the belt is screaming now. but whatever.

No more leak.
Problem fixed.

I just hope i have the right power steering pump.
I was looking at steering racks and again...
it specifies with the racks "WITH OR W/O SPECIAL HANDLING SUSPENSION

WHAT THE HELL DOES ALL THIS MEAN??????

If more than one part(s) for our mark vii's specifies:

With or With Out Special Handling.
With or With out Handling Package.

I think it mite be important to know.

Does anybody on here know what those options are and how to tell what my 91 SE LSC has stock?

Is this only related to GTC rides....
I keep trying to search for answers on here and cant find anything other than suspension upgrades available for GTC editions.

so...

i kept going over in my head this predicament with the belt squeal after the power steering pump install.

I have looked over everything again and again...

and it seems like the belt tensioner up top, has its arm in an EXTREME downward position.
I think the belt might be routed wrong.

Its almost 2 am-these are the things I think about before sleep.

Markus, the belt is either routed wrong, too long or stretched real bad and needs to be replaced anyways if you haven't already. There is a "Range" indicator on the belt tensioner. IIRC the tensioner should be pointing to about the 4 o'clock position.
As far as with or without the handling package. The LSC has a Sport Tuned Suspension and the non LSC has more of a softer cushier ride.
If it were me buying parts for my LSC I would say yes WITH the handling package.

ford man

thanks again for input.

I think the arm is pointed down at more like a 5 oclock shadow.
Went back to the NEW mechanic (another mechanic I will never use again) and told him that I thought it was shady that they told me I needed a shorter belt after using the same pulley.
They blew smoke ** ** *** by telling me that possibly the pulley needed to be adjusted.
I said there is no adjustment-its on or its not.

He pleaded for me to bring back LSC to let him re examine the work.

I told him no thank you and that I would return when the work he has done was fixed to explain to him what he did wrong.

I am extreme novice and cant do much more than simple fluid changes-tune ups-all the minor stuff. Its rough-but I try.

The belt only started squealing after mech. did install of pump and new PS return line.

And i had ordered (no price difference) the pump W/O handling package.
I have noticed no issues yet.

I thought....THOUGHT-(im not sure)...

...that the 90-92 or 91-92 Marks got the same suspension treatment across the board as far as the air springs becoming the same on BB and LSC models.

I THOUGHT THIS-but am not sure.
SO I THOUGHT IT WAS odd that parts specify "handling package" if that year range was the same.

I MUST BE WRONG THOUGH because all suppliers including MOTORCRAFT across the board, even for the year range listed above, ask W or W/O handling.

I wonder if I screwed myself bad with this one-having a pump that is not up to spec.

Everything I do- is wrong with the car.
I try.
I have been trying to listen better...and research better...
and im still shooting myself in both feet over and over again.
There is such a mixture of Fact/Fiction info on these cars and many different opinions.

thanks again for input.

I think the arm is pointed down at more like a 5 oclock shadow.
Went back to the NEW mechanic (another mechanic I will never use again) and told him that I thought it was shady that they told me I needed a shorter belt after using the same pulley.
They blew smoke ** ** *** by telling me that possibly the pulley needed to be adjusted.
I said there is no adjustment-its on or its not.

He pleaded for me to bring back LSC to let him re examine the work.

I told him no thank you and that I would return when the work he has done was fixed to explain to him what he did wrong.

I am extreme novice and cant do much more than simple fluid changes-tune ups-all the minor stuff. Its rough-but I try.

The belt only started squealing after mech. did install of pump and new PS return line.

And i had ordered (no price difference) the pump W/O handling package.
I have noticed no issues yet.

I thought....THOUGHT-(im not sure)...

...that the 90-92 or 91-92 Marks got the same suspension treatment across the board as far as the air springs becoming the same on BB and LSC models.

I THOUGHT THIS-but am not sure.
SO I THOUGHT IT WAS odd that parts specify "handling package" if that year range was the same.

I MUST BE WRONG THOUGH because all suppliers including MOTORCRAFT across the board, even for the year range listed above, ask W or W/O handling.

I wonder if I screwed myself bad with this one-having a pump that is not up to spec.

Everything I do- is wrong with the car.
I try.
I have been trying to listen better...and research better...
and im still shooting myself in both feet over and over again.
There is such a mixture of Fact/Fiction info on these cars and many different opinions.

MarkUS

One indication of the "performance suspension" package is the thickness of the front swaybar. The performance bar is 1/8 inch thicker than the standard. As I recall the diameter of the performance bar is 1.125 inches.

update.

The belt was routed wrong.

I do have the performance suspension.
Im a dumby.
I should have just figured that the LSC SE- (top model at the time) would have the performance suspension.

I just never have had to think of that option before.

So i currently have a pump specified for the non performance suspension...
....I dont know what i should do.
It seems to be working fine...
makes me wonder what the difference is with the pumps.

Shrug-i guess leave it in until it dies. IDK??????

Maybe the correct pump will flow faster-idk.
REALLY DIFFICULT FINDING SPECS ON THE TWO AVAILABLE MODEL PS PUMPS FOR THE 91 LSC SE.
I dare anybody to try searching

Members online

Back