Power Steering Return Hose - 2nd Gen V8

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Man was this power steering return hose a pain to find. It's been discontinued and I couldn't find an aftermarket one either. Ford part number is 3W4Z-3A713-AA. Called a Ford dealer who showed online they had it in stock, they didn't, but he gave me the name of 5 dealers in the country that showed they had it in stock. The first two I called had it, list price of $135.xx - When I asked for a discount they gave me about 10% off. The 3rd dealer I called listed it at $140.xx and I was able to get it for $96.xx plus tax/shipping or $114.xx - So it's on it's way. There is another part number that popped up online, looks like the same part, says it's for some V8's (and V6's) but two dealers I asked about it said it wasn't for my 03' LS Sport V8. I'll put the part number up here just in case someone runs across it when replacing their ps return hose. Make sure it's for your car before ordering it though. #5W4Z3A713A

LS - PS Return Hose.jpg

Last edited:
Very doubtful. It isn't just a piece of hose by the looks of it. I've added a drawing above. The shop said they can make some hoses, but not this one.

You could make one or have one made for less than that, very likely.

KS

When you need to move a fluid from one point to another and the pressure is low, as it is in a PS return, the ends matter, but what's in between not so much. It doesn't need to look like that. Just make sure it isn't kinked and can't rub against moving parts. Likely much of that complicated shape is because of assembly concerns and not because it won't move the fluid if it isn't shaped that way. (Attitude and therefore, comment, from an old hot-rodder.)

KS

Camm, your scaring the children ... STOP IT ... LOL

See how when you ask them politely for their best price they have some wiggle room? List price is only a wish price, they can do better, typically 10% is a no brainer for them, they still make money on it. Their cost is way less.

Plus they love it when you call, looking for piece they haven't been able to get rid of for over a decade now, they'd rather not eat it at next inventory meeting. Old stock tastes funny.

Probably could have squeezed them by the nuts harder and explained to them that you know they'd never get rid of it and that today is their lucky day, you'll take it off their hands for 10% less what they paid for it. LOL

Last edited:
Yes I understand that cammerfe. Old hot rods usually had quite a bit of room under the hood. As you're aware the LS V8 does not. I imagine that's why the return hose as you mention is shaped that way. Since I was not doing the work myself and the shop I use didn't feel comfortable for probably the reason you mention about making sure it doesn't touch anything, get kinked, in this case I'm a lot more comfortable just using the factory hose, even though as usual they want crazy money for OEM parts. I'm sure some that end up reading this and are more DYI people will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks for your help.

When you need to move a fluid from one point to another and the pressure is low, as it is in a PS return, the ends matter, but what's in between not so much. It doesn't need to look like that. Just make sure it isn't kinked and can't rub against moving parts. Likely much of that complicated shape is because of assembly concerns and not because it won't move the fluid if it isn't shaped that way. (Attitude and therefore, comment, from an old hot-rodder.)

KS

I guess RigsLS is the resident stand up comic here eh? LOL - "Take my wife...please." - “A girl phoned me the other day and said… ‘Come on over, there’s nobody home.’ I went over. Nobody was home.“ - I'll be here until Saturday night. Don't forget to tip your waitresses. *Mic Drop*

Camm, your scaring the children ... STOP IT ... LOL

I got about 33% off their list price, which from a Ford dealer I didn't think was too bad. When I looked at the list of 5 dealers I had to call that had the part, when I got to the small town Iowa dealer I was thinking that same thought, hopefully they'll want to move some dead weight off of their shelves, unlike the normal greedy dealers that figure they have a part there are not many left of and hold out and try to get top dollar for it. And since the female parts person I spoke with I'm assuming didn't have any nuts, I guess there weren't any I could have squeezed harder. It appears you're also a top negotiator as well as funny. If you're available on my next parts buying task, let me know. *smile*

See how when you ask them politely for their best price they have some wiggle room? List price is only a wish price, they can do better, typically 10% is a no brainer for them, they still make money on it. Their cost is way less.

Plus they love it when you call, looking for piece they haven't been able to get rid of for over a decade now, they'd rather not eat it at next inventory meeting. Old stock tastes funny.

Probably could have squeezed them by the nuts harder and explained to them that you know they'd never get rid of it and that today is their lucky day, you'll take it off their hands for 10% less what they paid for it. LOL

The original part power steering part I ordered ended up being the wrong part that was needed. What is needed is part # 3W4Z3691BA - the reservoir to pump hose. #4 in the photo. Someone checked for me, no Ford dealer in the country has one. (discontinued part) Nothing online, NAPA and a couple other major auto part stores, no aftermarket hose either. Does anyone know if this part can be located? There is a place in town that makes custom hoses, but they need the old hose and that won't be coming off my car until it's replaced with the new one at the shop. (along with ps pump)

Would a Jaguar part work?

WP_20170421_14_24_25_Pro.jpg

Here is a part for a 03' Jag S-Type 4.2 - URO #XR843197 - Says it's a power steering suction hose from the reservoir to pump. Photo below:

Jag-power-steering-suction-hose.jpg

Last edited:
For that one, you can use suitable sized *suction rated* oil-compatible hose. The hydraulic shop will likely have something on the shelf. I'd look up part numbers but I'm on travel right now. Gates and similar make such hoses by the foot. The bends aren't severe, so I wouldn't feel too bad about using normal hose. A bend former might be needed for the lower bend, maybe not.

I added the Jag hose photo the same time you were replying. I thought the Ford hose had some type of ends on them that didn't look like normal hose clamps, is something special required? Is that a 'bend former' on the Jag hose?

For that one, you can use suitable sized *suction rated* oil-compatible hose. The hydraulic shop will likely have something on the shelf. I'd look up part numbers but I'm on travel right now. Gates and similar make such hoses by the foot. The bends aren't severe, so I wouldn't feel too bad about using normal hose. A bend former might be needed for the lower bend, maybe not.

*Edit* I think this is one of the lower return hoses, not the reservoir to pump hose that I need.

Here is the URO #XR87282 hose for the 2000-2002 S-Type 4.0 - the hose above is for 2003-2007 4.2 - Would one of these work for a 2003 3.9 LS?
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
So does anyone know if a Jag hose would work? I'm thinking the URO #XR843197 might, but I would like to know before ordering it first. Help anyone? Thank you.

You should be able to buy a piece of hose like that for less than five bucks. If it tries to collapse when bent in that shape, find a spring that'll just take the hose pushed inside and that'll give the hose walls just enough stiffness to keep it round when bent.

KS

After being told by 2 different shops that I either needed two hoses replaced or a hose and power steering pump, I took it to the shop that replaced my transmission a few months ago. They looked at it and said they thought it was just a slight leak from the reservoir to pump hose and the spring clamp (below) on top had lost it's memory...
spring clamp.jpg

So that clamp came off and a radiator type hose clamp (below) was put on and problem solved. As some on this site have called a lot of 'mechanics,' parts replacers. Instead of fixing the actual problem, just pile up the bill by saying something like the ps pump needs to be replaced, etc. Is it they are that bad of a mechanic, lazy or just trying to run up the bills to people who trust them and that they know what they're talking about?
rad clamp.jpg

And it appears that the Jaguar hose URO #XR843197 is not the same as at least what the hose is on my car. My hose was was maybe 24mm at the top and 16mm at the bottom. The jag hose was the same size (16mm?) on both ends.

And this is why I feel that I am stuck doing most of the work on my cars myself (and I really hate when I have to outsource some of it).

Members online

No members online now.
Back