power steering pressure line leak

ruswin

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have developed a small leak coming from the power steering pump where the pressure line connects. It has an 18mm hex connector that I assume holds the steel tubing in place? The manual I have says that a small amount of "play" in the steel line is normal, but that is where my leak is coming from. I tried to tighten that connection, it seems very tight. My question is, can I replace a seal on that connection, or does the entire hose assembly need to be replaced? My manual does not even show how that is sealed or what type of seal it needs.

Thanks!

is it leaking between the nut and the line or between the nut and the pump? nut and the pump you need a new teflon o-ring, if its between the nut and the line you need a new line

It is hard to tell, but it looks like it is leaking between the nut and the line. Does anyone have a diagram showing how the seal fits in there?

theres a o-ring inside the nut that seals around the line, somehow the line is "supposed" to come out of the nut, but i nor anyone else at work (ford dealership) has figured out how it comes apart, the manual says remove nut.....:shifty: we've tried every disconnect tool in the book, plain and simple it dont come out

Just a followup. The leak turned out to be the seal that cannot be replaced, so the entire hose assembly had to be replaced, about $35. The biggest pain was getting to the connection to the rack. You will need a set of Crows foot wrenches , sockets to get at it. Crazy how the hose is about 4 ft long, yet the actual distance between the point that are connected is about 6 inches!!! Thanks Ford? ;)

im getting ready to do the same to my 94 mark , what was the install time ??im pretty good under the hood i was a auto tech for 3 years but never had to do one of these before

Make sure you have about 1-2 hours and enough patience to go with it. The other thing you will need is that crows foot socket to loosen and remove the fitting from the pump, I left the pump in place, what a pain in the A.

Good luck!

Im guessing you have never heard of a PICK, I have a set of dental picks that I use for removing those gaskets..they work great, and the Teflon ring is about 50cents at Oreilly

I agree with Chicken...

"theres a o-ring inside the nut that seals around the line, somehow the line is "supposed" to come out of the nut, but i nor anyone else at work (ford dealership) has figured out how it comes apart, the manual says remove nut..... we've tried every disconnect tool in the book, plain and simple it dont come out"

If you can get it out with a pick and then get a new one installed that don't leak, that would be useful information for others that are sure to have the same problem eventually. :)

replaced the pressure line yesterday and i believe its still leaking , looks like the rack was the second part of a leak :mad: i'm really begining to hate this car

After 16 years, things start to just plain wear out? My is going into the shop today to try to find a gremlin that has eluded me for months now.

Is the car really that hammered? I see you are in the bay area... I just moved to Santa Rosa. If you are really going to sell, what do you have and what are you looking for?

When I replaced the line assembly on mine, it came with the seals pre-installed. There was still some play between the fittings and the back of the pump connection, but that seemed normal? Where is it leaking from?

i dunno where the leak is, i just wanna make sure it wasnt something simple. clean it, start the car and lay under it till you see a drip

Is the car really that hammered? I see you are in the bay area... I just moved to Santa Rosa. If you are really going to sell, what do you have and what are you looking for?

its not hammered i just had enough of dumping money into this car , i'd be happy to part ways with it for a $1,000 ,clean title only body flaw is a small dent on the pass side quarter panel

Members online

No members online now.
Back