Power steering line at rack - How to help

borjawil

New LVC Member
Reaction score
EDITED

2002 Lincoln LS V8

Powersteering leak. From under the vehicle at the rack one of the lines is leaking at the fitting. Seems to becomeing from the sensor at the rack above a fitting. Any idea how to remove this sensor, and what the sensor is?

Last edited:
subbing to this thread.

just noticed some atf under my LS the other day, right in the middle so I suspect the rack is leaking.

Pressure line or return line?
Are you sure it's the line connection, and not the input shaft seal that is above it? (it will leak down over the line connections)

Also, the pressure line has a pressure sensor on it that has been known to leak.

Just edited this. Looks like the sensor above the line is leaking. White connector on sensor (black connector from harness removed). Is this the pressure sensor? Thought the pressure sensor was by the pump?

Here are pics - one showing under the car where im looking one of the white connector of sensor just above fitting. my head is towards rear of car. Sensor right above steering boot. Sensor has a metal cylindrical body and looks like the high pressure sensor. Ive read the pressure sensor is mid pressure line or at pump. However theres a pressure control solenoid at rack. Im guessing this is the control solenoid? Though it looks like the pressure sensor from what ive googled.

20180726_153905_1532634001839.jpg

20180726_153844_1532634002132.jpg

looks more like this - short cylinder as opposed to longer control solenoid (last pic)
sensor.jpg

solenoid.jpg

Last edited:
The solenoid (VAPS actuator) is on the rack. The pressure sensor is in the middle of the high pressure line, or on the pump (depends on which they had when the built each LS, I guess).

Members online

No members online now.
Back